• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 04:08 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Box Box

Started by zourtney, Nov 09, 2009, 08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Nov 09, 2009, 08:36 PM Last Edit: Nov 09, 2009, 09:58 PM by zourtney
I was thinking of making a little box out of my left over wood from the bike tree project...if it hasn't been used for some other project already. I was thinking of building a box or two to house my guitar amps. They sit in the closet a lot, but aren't very easy to place stuff on top of. So, stackable boxes would be awesome.

I whipped up this today:

I was thinking of something with a hingable, open front but would actually be quite content with a box that had a removable top. I was thinking of padding the inside with some cheap foam. If I get really into it, I may pick up a roll of speaker carpeting stuff and cover the outside.

Just ideas. Let me know if the wood has already been used for another project. It is free to use on someone else's projects, by all means.  

Nick

Part of the OSB stuff got used on the shed, but the 2x4s are still unused. There might still be enough OSB available for your box though.

zourtney

That stuff is pretty cheap anyway. Considering all the stuff I can make for under $7 it is awesome!

zourtney

For the "small" amp, inside dimensions must be at least:

• 18" tall
  • 21" wide
  • 11" deep

For the "big" amp (which coincidentally is not really any bigger), inside dimensions must be at least:

• 19" tall
  • 23" wide
  • 10" deep

If I pad if with foam, I will probably want to add at least 1" - 1.5" all around. So, maybe it's a stupid idea, but now at least I have the dimensions stored on the vast persistence of the webbernet.

Cody

Not to rain on your parade or anything...but you still have a box over here that you made ages ago that you haven't done anything with. Two of them actually... You are more than welcome to come take that away since it is just taking up room in the spare bedroom. But as for the boxes, that does sound pretty cool.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Yeah, yeah, but those are GIGANTIC and, well, you know...poorly made? I can do better and smaller. Welcome back

Cody

I prefer 'unique' over poorly made.   :D
   --Boba Fett

Nick

In that case I have 'unique' ideas all the time.  Oh, and the running boards on the blazer. Totally unique. :)

zourtney

Well, the gigantic crap box wasn't actually that bad of an idea. It was just poorlyuniquely executed. The idea was to have a "gun safe" style box to hold guitars upright. It just so happened to be ugly and (surprise, surprise) excessively large. I could probably cut up that box and make some smaller amp boxes out of the remains. That might be beneficial to everyone.

Cody

Funny enough that one is serving more of a purpose at the moment and is far less annoying and in the way as good ol' Mr. Tascam box. I'm really not overly concerned either way as it serves as a nice junk table, but whatever floats your boat so to speak. However you are not going to have fun digging that 'guitar safe' out of the barn. I promise you that!
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Well, I was pretty in to this idea until I started dimensioning things out. My small closet in the back is only 24" deep. I could squeeze my small amp into that amount of space though I might have to use a box design that doesn't have 2x4 running the depth of the box.

But the big amp is 23" wide. There is no way I can finagle 2x4s, OSB, foam padding, and 23" wide amp into a 24" deep closet.  :(

Of course, I could just stack them length-wise in the closet, but what fun is that?!

zourtney

A slightly better model of a box. I'm mostly just playing with that SketchUp program. I forgot dimensions on this one, but whatever. I'm just playing around. It's 30" long, 14.5" deep, and 21" tall.

Better Box.skp

zourtney

I should make a TV stand. That'd be the shizzle.

Nick

That would take the lizard for sure!

And it would be fun. And on top of that good experience for when the computers rise against man and must all be destroyed and outlawed. You could fall back on your woodworking skillz, yo.

zourtney

I'm making a picture (slowly during compiles). I should make that amp box (or two) too. It'd be pretty easy. And I want to play with that speaker carpet stuff, if it's not too expensive.