• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 01:43 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Box Box

Started by zourtney, Nov 09, 2009, 08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Do you guys (Nicknpeople) still have any scrap 2x4s lying around?

Nick

Just as many as last time :) Should make you a fine box.

zourtney

Cool. I have too many projects I would like to do. Oh yeah, I need to install that stereo too!

zourtney

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am needing to make some shelves to store all of my books and CDs and stuff. The internets fill me with lots of ideas, but most are a bit out of my skill level of woodworking. (Like giant entertainment centers with shelves to hold 500 DVDs, 3 game systems, a stereo, a 42" TV, and nifty integrated lighting.

So, I think I should make my crapbox I was talking about earlier, in this thread. It'd be a good project and would give me a little more experience. If it turns out ok, maybe I'll make one out of hardwood and give it some real joints.

I do want to try the carpeting thing, I think.

Nick

Sounds like fun! I am sure you can work your way up to the entertainment center. Richard has a bit of experience doing things of that sort if you want a little advice. Aside from the size of the thing, its probably not much harder then making a nice table. It will just have more pieces to it.   

zourtney

Other idea I just thought of:

Build a shelving unit to sit atop my desk. If I made it deep enough, I could get the printers, cds, and misc electronics into shelves and I could have a little breathing room.

I should make a list of all my crapshelf ideas!

zourtney

Dec 29, 2009, 07:40 PM #21 Last Edit: Dec 29, 2009, 07:44 PM by zourtney
Here's my latest boring-box sketch (click to go to image node's page). The inside dimensions measure 24"x12"x18" (WxDxH). This would accommodate either amp I currently have and leaves room for inserting styrofoam padding.

Download Model

I think I'd actually replace those 24" notched boards with 2x2s. That would stretch by 2x4 lumber farther so I could make two boxes. Plus, that's way overbuilt. But that's how I roll.

Plus, the idea was to use up some of that 2-by lumber lying around Nick's house. Criticize away.

Nick

Cool. We have a thing that will make dovetail joints if you want to get fancy :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovetail_joint

zourtney

Dec 30, 2009, 10:58 AM #23 Last Edit: Dec 30, 2009, 03:06 PM by zourtney
Cool. I like dovetails. They look nice and I'd like to try it some time. But is it a waste to dovetail 2-by lumber?

I was trying to fit the pieces together in a way where you could just slap it together with 2 1/2" screws/nails, but incorporating one of those sliding dovetail joints sounds fun. It's an alternative to those weirdo notched pieces, at least.

Nick

I think the dovetailer is limited to one inch or so, I am not sure. It uses a router so you cant go deeper then the router bit is long. But thats all I know. There might be a way to do it anyway. Or you could use 1x4s.

zourtney

Meaning that the board would have to be less than 1" deep (instead of the 2x's ~1.5")? It doesn't really matter...but we should build stuff! I think I am going to try and finish up staining and gelling the nice wood furniture I got years ago as a present. It's time to put that stuff into my living room!

Nick

Nice! I like hard wood furniture.  A rustic woodsy feeling in the comfort of your own home. That's also one of the reasons why I like wood fire places. How dark are you going to stain it? And whats it look like now?

zourtney

Dec 31, 2009, 07:33 AM #27 Last Edit: Dec 31, 2009, 07:37 AM by zourtney
Do you remember seeing that end table by my front door? (I know, it's buried and a mess up there.)

Well, there is a matching end table and coffee table which have been over at my mom's house for about two years. They are both stained, but the top of the coffee table turned out a little dark and splotchy. I am thinking of sanding it down to make the color match the end table(s) better. But really I just want them finished and in my house, regardless of how imperfect they might be. I am more interested in getting enough gel on it that I can set a glass of water on it without worrying about it soaking in to the wood grain.

So, yes, they've been pretty much finished for the better part of a year. I could probably finish it up in two days, counting drying time between coats of gel. Sounds like this weekend's project to me. :)

zourtney

Well, the tables are finished (and completed). They just need to be delivered. If I spent more time, I could probably make it buttery-smooth on top. As it is, the grain in some parts took the stain/gel differently so it is bumpy to the touch in some parts. But I'ma call it 'good' and just use it.

As for boxbox: I got some of that fabric. It's real cheap and I have more than enough to cover two boxes as designed above. Let's make something! :)

Nick

I'll help if ya like. Just say when!