• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 03:55 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Box Box

Started by zourtney, Nov 09, 2009, 08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Maybe this upcoming Saturday? I'm trying to decide if I want to cover all of the pieces in fabric and then assemble, or vise-versa.

What's everyone up to this weekend?

Nick

We were going to go up to the snow... but then it warmed up. So I am probably free on Saturday.

zourtney

I updated my design a little to use some 2x2s, as I mentioned earlier. I uploaded it to randomland here but didn't have the chance to get screenshots (I'm mobe' right now). It looks like I need about 10ft of 2x2, 10ft of 2x4, and 5ft x 4ft of plywood. I figure I could cut everything up, take it home and staple/glue down the covering, then screw it together.

Nick

Need some 2x4 scrap?

zourtney

15 inchers. Or maybe for feet, instead of using of 2x4s.

Nick

zourtney

Nevermind...

Anyway, I finally got my tables into my place! All finished (enough) and already getting piled with stuff. So, it works.

I didn't get anywhere on my box project, but I did get a staple gun. That's fun, right?

Nick

Yes. Now you can affix everything to everything else!

Oh, and what do the tables look like? (pics?)

zourtney

Jan 11, 2010, 03:02 PM #38 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010, 01:02 PM by zourtney
They are mission style (careful) made of an Asian hardwood I can't remember the name of. Parawood, perhaps, which seems to be met with mixed reviews. They are finished with a medium reddish-brown, cherry-type finish. Not too light, not too dark. I'll try to upload some pictures tonight.

The kit came from Keith Brown Lumber on Front St in Salem. My only complaint is that the top piece of one of the end tables developed a crack that I was unable to repair. It used to be visible only from the bottom, but has since widened a bit. Now it is (finally) in a temperature controlled environment and I suspect it won't get too much worse. I hope. Regardless, I am glad to have it usable and be a finished project.

You (people I know) can come peak at them some time. I'll even try to make you a latte, or something though I need to mess with the top gasket so it starts sealing again first. :( Another project...

Edit: steamer works again. I think it had a big glob of something stuck in it but eventually (and suddenly!) worked its way out. Additionally, here's a low-quality picture I snapped with my phone of the tables before I took them home.

zourtney

Ok, here is the final plan I have for my little box. It's not too complicated or anything, but I like planning it out.

Here is the 3D model of how everything fits together. The inside dimensions measure 24"x12"x18" (WxDxH). This will fit either of the two amps I have and still leave plenty of room for adding in foam padding when I feel like paying for it. I'm going to wrap all visible board edges in the gray cloth material I picked up a few weeks ago. I need to play with it a little first, to see how well it glues down, though.

I'll need two 8' long 2x2s and about 5 1/2' of OSB in addition to the 10' 2x4 which is probably still sitting in Nick's shed.

The only problem I foresee comes about if I actually make two of these. Because of the ~1.5" lumber width surrounding the amp, there is no good way to put two boxes in a normal closet (~24" deep). The only way that would work is to stack them vertically against the back wall. Plah.

zourtney

Somehow, my inactivity and the slow passage of time has given me inspiration to try and slim down my box design. The closet which I would like to store amp(s) in is 24" deep. My bigger amp is about 23" long. I figured that if I remove the depth-running bracing, I can shorten the thing down. It's not like it really needs those anyway.

Here's a quick visual.

I mean, really, does it need to be more complicated than that? (Yeah, I might add some feet so it doesn't draw moisture as easily.)

Nick

Feet are good. Or even casters if its going to be heavy!

I like!

zourtney

Yeah...moving it has always been a design problem. If I'm shooting for < 24", I don't have room for side handles. I might try jig-sawing out a squarish handhold though. That seems like the most practical idea.

The earlier models would've allowed lid-to-box latches with a nice big handle on top. But the last one wouldn't. Plus, if I had handle on top, I couldn't stack 'em.

Side-holes it is, I think. I'll be covering the surface in fabric anyway. I could even pad it, if I wanted.

zourtney

I need to start/finish this thing; I need to make a bigger gecko cage this spring! Anyone have experience with plexiglass?

Nick

I have cut some... and I made a crappy iguana cage using some once. Its too bad I tossed that thing. I could have reused some parts. It was made of a galvanized sheet-metal bottom  that I hammered some channels into to hold the plexyglass and some pegboard (so he could climb it and things were easy to attach to it.) It was not that great and in hindsight the peg board probably wasn't a good insulator for keeping the heat and humidity in. But I was 14 when I made it. So sue me :)

I would suggest looking online for how to make a gecko tank. People have done some cool things making fake rocks out of some kind of cement/plaster type stuff for their critters to climb on and hide in. Making the front and bottom is easy. Just need to silicon the stuff together (or if you use thing stuff to save money then silicon it into its frame.) The heavy duty plexyglass is expensive. Far cheaper to pick up a 55 gallon tank on craigslist for $35 (if you look for a while you will find one for about that) and then modify it as you see fit. But for the ultimate flexability in its size and shape, getting 1/3in think plexyglass is the way to go.