• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 12:12 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

My car is all broked.

Started by Nick, Nov 13, 2009, 08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

The one in my car went out a while back, though I am sure you remember. All I did was unplug the electrical connections to it so the pump never tried to engage. It just free wheels all the time.

You could get a pulley off a car with no AC that the same year range. I would think they would have something there to take up the space. But like you said, having AC is worth the money.

And speaking of busted cars, I am going to fix mine soon. Richard got me this cool metal channel stuff (z or s channel) that slips onto a bare metal surface and then lets you slide a cover into it. Now I have the parts to make a hole and then cover it back up. Anyone want to help/document the procedure?

zourtney

That either sounds cool, or I totally misunderstood how it works. Either way, though, I'm definitely up for documenting/helping. I have some coveralls that need broken in. :) Just let me know when.

zourtney

My car is fixed. But it cost money. We should fix your car, Nick. (that too costs money :()

Nick

I am actually trying to fit working on that in today. I have the carpet up, that was easier a task then I thought it would be. I am printing out instructions on where to cut now. After that I will use a dremel to get a hole started so I can get tin-snips in and finish the rest of the cuts. After that I may or may not need to cut fuel lines.... I have seen pictures of people who have done it both ways.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html

Nick

I never updated that I got the hole cut, cut the fuel lines cut and took out the pump. I don't know whats wrong with it still. The pump seems to work fine, but only intermittently.  But whatever its issue is, I have ordered a new pump. Pump failure is common enough in these cars that its not worth trying to get the one I have to work consistently. Cost me $120 and will be here in about a week. Fedex. 

Nick

My fuel pump will be here tomorrow!

zourtney

Did it come? Let me know if you want some company during the installation. I have cameras. :)

Nick

Sep 04, 2010, 10:40 PM #22 Last Edit: Sep 06, 2010, 09:07 AM by Nick
It came, it didn't really fit the way it should, I bought an over-sized hose clamp and now its in there. And it works. And now the car is clean again. On the outside anyway.

zourtney

By "not in there" you mean "now in there," right? And cool!

Nick

Sep 06, 2010, 09:06 AM #24 Last Edit: Sep 06, 2010, 09:10 AM by Nick
You would be correct in that presumption. And, fixed.

I cut the z-channel stuff and cut the panel to go over the access hole and covered it all. I also put the carper and plastic 'interior panels' back it. Mostly they are just strange plastic curve pieces that cover speakers and spare tire stuff.  So its all back to looking like it did before I tore it apart.

zourtney

Excellent. Sorry you had such a long adventure in brokendom  :-\

Nick

Everything still isn't fixed, but its drivable now. Next is to get the drivers side window working again. Then perhaps the AC. Then who knows... sell it? Keep it? I don't know.  :-\

Nick

So my waterpump is going out. When the car is warm it has a semi-steady drip  from the weep home on the bottom of the pump. I already bought a replacement that should be at parts place today so I can install it tonight. Grumble grumble, $98, grumble cakes and all that.

Anyone want to help (it probably wont be very interesting. Nor will there be much for the second person to do, other then maybe take pictures.)

zourtney

So, did it work? I got a few pictures. Mostly of you using a hatchet under the hood because that humors me. :)

Nick

Yes it seems to have worked. My only concern is a slow drip coming from the weep hole. But that might be normal until the seals warm up and exspand and get all set. We will just have to wait and see.