• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 09:38 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

S-10 Blazer

Started by Nick, Dec 03, 2009, 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Discusion and accounts relating to the 'Blazer.'

It is currently without a battery and has a fractured windshield. Yesterday I put silicone on the big main crack to try and stop water from getting in (there is a stinky puddle on the floor.) If any of yous people want to come help clean her up just say so. I am mostly free.

zourtney

I wonder if you can buy a 40lb bag of that silica gel. That ought to dry her out! We probably should buy a new window for it. We probably should have about 2 years ago. But yeah, I'm up for helping some time. Maybe we can get the 4wd working properly. And let's rip those running boards off!

Nick

Down with the running boards! I agree.  Then build some real one. And a brushguard to protect any new windshield it might get. And a cammo/matte green paint job. I just love the strangely ugly and alluring look of matte green primer. 

I have the windows open at the moment trying to dry her out, but its only a matter of time before it starts raining again. I should start her up and let her idle for a while with the floor vents on full blast and hot. That should at least make a nice steamy environment within. Might start growing some jungle plants or flesh eating mold if I'm not careful doing that. 

Nick

We need to get it a racing flywheel and a carbon driveshaft. Then get an engine from a 93-2000 Camaro and put that in (from 2.8l to 3.4l in a single (and relativly cheap) bound) then we might be  making close to 160hp before all those 20% rather then the 120 it makes now (if it even makes that much anymore.)

http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=52754 <- A little about replacing s-10 engines

From Wikipedia:
         1986-1993 - 2.8 L (173 cu in) LL2 V6, TBI, 125 hp (93 kW)/150 lb·ft (203 N·m) (VIN R)

A.k.a: Gutless. The 3.4 is better, but only a little. Better off with a 350 but that's allot more work.

Another place to read about engine swapping, this time for a V8.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/swapping-heres-a-list-of-parts-and-answered-questions-23481/

Worth looking at if for nothing more then the phrase "Keep in mind; ANYTHING is possible with Time, Money, and a Welder  ;)"

zourtney

:) A v8 would change everything. The Blazer would be like a totally different vehicle...and a lot more fun!

Nick

A 302 would be nice. Plenty of power and a little lighter then the 350. A 350 would probably cost less and be easier to get parts for. 

zourtney

Blazer, blazer
She does amaze!
Her console stank
Vacuum hoses brazed

Her simplicity
Never hurt a man
Never let him down
Never left him strand[ed]

Ok, that's all I got. But yeah! We should get the Blazer back into camping mode. Next weekend might be a good time for me to help out with the happenings.

Do we need to do anything with that second battery's wiring? Or is that ok?

Nick

The second battery stuff needs a stern looking-at.  Just to make sure there is nothing miss behaving back there. And maybe isolate the inverter more. I though I had it hooked up so it got power when the car was on only. But what I wired into might be on when I think its not. I have plenty of low current relays if we need to give it its own.

And nice poetry :)

Brad

I know where you could get a 302 V8 for cheap haha. Its from a Ford though...

Don't forget to add fixing the c-clamp based 4-wheel drive system to your list of things to fix.

Nick

Haha... yeah, that's right. I bought the new part. I just need to put it on.

A 302 would be awesome if it came with a mounting kit and a tranny...

Nick

I got it a new battery and "washed her down." Now she needs her inners scrubbed a little.  Perhaps a good f'breezing and vacuuming. Just so we can get it all dirty again, of course. But with new, clean dirt. Not that old, smelly dirt.

zourtney

Cool. Sorry I got too busy to help last weekend. Are you and Brad working Monday? I have it off, I'm pretty sure (for the 4th)

Nick

We probably get it off as well. I would have to check to be sure though. Thinking of doing something:?

zourtney

Yeah, we should do something! I don't know what or why. I certainly don't know where (as that will be a very, very busy weekend on the roads and in the camping areas). Perhaps even just some Blazer prep, angle grinding, or spray painting (I acquired an old safe which could use a fresh set of paint)

Nick

I would be up for a paint-off. The blazer needs it in more then a few locations. Mainly the hood. And the bumper, thanks to the bumper buddy. We could get some cheap spray paint, or we have about 7 gallons of the free dump paint. Its a nice 'non-descript gray" in color.  That would not be a good outdoor truck paint. But it might work as a safe-primer.
All the spay paint I put on the blazer last year is coming off. I will have to get better paint this time.... or look into how to make the cheap stuff work. "Oh internet..... "