• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 04:40 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Flash/C++ Game Project

Started by Brad, Dec 18, 2009, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

So I think the Flash client portion of this project is be dead. With my limited time to work on stuff I like to learn things which will be useful in the future or to use technologies which seem to be going somewhere. I don't think Flash meets this anymore. With Flash player being discontinued on mobile devices, the increasing usefulness of HTML 5, and Adobe now charging developers who make over $50,000 on their projects to use the advanced Flash Player features I think it is time to switch to new things. Like maybe Android development.

This does not mean the whole project is dead. The c++ windows and linux servers still work great so I won't be dumping those. Just the flash client itself is going away. If anybody wants to partner up for some android or HTML 5 development just let me know.

Nick

I would love to do something HTML 5/ Android (why cant it be both at the same time?) I have played around a little with HTML 5 and compatible socket servers.

Brad

I don't think the default android browser has full HTML5 support. It can't play browserquest for example. I don't know the specifics of what is/is not supported though.

Nick

That will change in the future. But for now playing with the android SDK would be fun.

What needs to be done (everything?) What are you planning on making?

Brad

I need to make some progress on my XNA project before I jump ship and start on Android or HTML5.

But basically a graphical client which communicates with the game server is needed. All the game logic is done server side but all the graphics, UI, network communication, etc needs to be done by the client. That means lots of sprite assets and tile maps and other user interface goodness.

If I was going to make one for Android though id make it a full touchscreen ui and have two sets of assets, one for phones and another for the larger tablet screens.

The client isn't hugely complicated... I wrote a text based on after all... the hardest part is getting it to talk to the server correctly.