• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 07:19 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Lawn Mower Fun

Started by Cody, Apr 28, 2010, 07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody

So, for some odd reason, I decided it would be great fun to take apart our old riding lawn mower and see if I couldn't get it running again. As I remember it the transmission broke and the thing wouldn't move so we bought a new one. Well after a couple days of taking every possible piece off the thing I got to the transmission. On taking it apart it appears that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Everything inside functions perfectly. There was the issue with the shifter bar thingy being oddly rusted in place and absolutely immovable...but once I broke that loose it all seems happy. Of course I am sure it won't turn out so easy to get running again. On a more electrical note, I may need the help of one or two smart peoples to see if I can't hook up the ignition system thing and get it working again. All my attempts have failed miserably.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Sounds fun. Last time I took a lawnmower apart I was rather disappointed and ended up returning it to the junkyard from whence it came. I would be happy to help with the wiring if you like.

zourtney

I agree, that would be fun. I have much to learn about the world of electronics. Let me know if you want me to stop by. I probably can't help much, but I can stand around and go, "mmmmm" and "uh-huh."

Cody

It seems to me that the ignition is dead. I suppose I will need to get a new one. On a happier note I assembled the transmission and mounted it back on the lawn mower and it all works! Why we ever determined it was busted I have no clue.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

The starter might just be rusty. A good cleaning and greasing might bring it back to life. Can't tell without looking though.

Cody

Perhaps my wording was not as good as it should have been. I meant the ignition switch. It does not appear to let the power through it when the key is in the start position. I don't have a tester of any sort to test it though. But the starter is fine and I actually it running yesterday.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Cool. It should be an easyish fix then.

Cody

So I bought a new ignition switch but I can't for the life of me figure out how it is supposed to work. Ironically it is exactly the same as the old one that was on there. I can get it to turn the engine on fine but seeing as how the kill wire seems to need power to shut off the engine and there is clearly no power to any of the post things when the key is in the off position I am totally stumped. I'd say it can't be done, but obviously you wouldn't sell an ignition switch with an off position if it weren't possible.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Normally you just ground a kill wire to stop the engine. It normally grounds out the spark-coil to stop things from running. But it could be different on yours.

Whats you next step man? Add some 'noss,' put headers on it and an aggressive cam? :) 

Cody

Ha ha as much fun as that may be, in reality I think the next step will probably be a decent paint job and some steering modification. Of course mounting all the body panels back on is certainly a necessity. After that? Who knows. It needs a new seat but that's like money...unless of course we used a Honda seat...  :P
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Find a classic tractor seat at a yard sale :)

zourtney

Pictures, man! Pictures!