• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 03:53 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Yard Art

Started by Nick, May 28, 2010, 11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Lets make yard art! Its fun, exciting and gives me a reason to cut metal and use the welder again. Not that there are no other projects I could be working on, but this sounds fun for the moment.

So far I have some rendering made with google sketchup  and kerkythea (hence forth to be known as KT or kerky. Because I can never remember how to spell that thing.)

The one that looks the best (you know the one. It looks like an oil derrick, or maybe a radio tower) is the one I am thinking about making. I might make another version or two to see how different dimensions look for the top and the bottom (mostly just adjusting the slope.)
Have a look:

zourtney

Cool. I'm liking the renders; they look good.

So, would this be more vine-crawling scaffolding? Or are we going to make that 8ft rocket. (Because that sounds like lots of fun! But I don't have the smarts to be a physicist or a rocket scientist.)

Nick

An 8 foot rocket would be cool. I wonder how many model rocket engines it would take. I wonder how many laws it would break to build one. Man, they don't let anybody have any fun these days. But alas, I am talking about vine scaffolding. And I like the idea oh having obelisks in the yard.

zourtney

How goes the rocketeering? Or is this just another brainwave lost in the annuls of time?

Nick

I got those two rocket launchers. You saw the one in my yard. I also gave one to my grandma (made my grandpa confused as to what it was  :)) I still want to make one of the ones I made in sketch up. I lack other welding projects and I still like the idea. The only problem is that the metal at the scrap yard is all rather long at the moment. And they charge to cut it as well as that I have nothing that big to carry it on. I need to get our trailer road-worthy and then just take the saw with me. I am sure they will let me plug it in some place to make a cut or two. Or I can bring a hacksaw and just 'tool up.'

zourtney

I can't recall their hours, but if you want a backup hack[saw]er, I'll gladly tag along. I like metal projects!

Nick

OK. I will let you know if I have plans to head on down there. With just two cuts per bar they would just fit in a truck. Then it would be easy. Or only one cut and then the trailer.