• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 08:14 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Body Armor.

Started by Nick, Aug 11, 2010, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Body Armor: Is it on you?

We have 4 barrels and a plan. Lets make some body armor!

zourtney

I was wondering when this would pop into Randomland's base of knowledge. Body armor is a fine goal. What, if anything, are you arming yourself against?

This project screams "Randomland Writeup," to me, and I hope it happens. I'm pretty busy for the rest of the week, but I should have time to lend a helping hand (see: heat gun) next week.

Nick

Sounds good. Brad and I have been making cardboard templates and test pieces and have most of the chest armor complete (in cardboard form anyway.) I bought a riveter for attaching the plastic panels together.

The armor would make you knife resistant, probably slash proof and make you pretty durable against wooden swords. It would make good practice armor for use with practice weapons. Defiantly not bullet resistant though.  But it might make a nice addition to a paintball game :).

zourtney

Sorry to not make it to the barrel cutting outing. Let me know if you're doing it tomorrow, and I'll just stop by after work. Eve doesn't get off work until 7 anyway. And the most productive thing I'd be doing is telling Photoshop to stitch photos together.

Nick

How did the photo stitching go? Sorry no armoring yesterday, I went over to my grandma's to help keep her company.. and for lasagna.

Anyone up for  some barrel mangling tonight?

zourtney

Your place? Brad's? Mine?

Nick

Mine I guess. As I don't want to haul all the tools and barrels anywhere. Though I could if it came down to it I could haul then places.

Brad

I realize that Halloween has come and gone, but I still plan on finishing this armor. Things have been pretty busy lately, and I doubt there are going to get any less busy soon, but I'm still willing to work on stuff whenever we can get together.

Not having a deadline per say allows us to do other stuff though, like think about making a kabuto (helmet).

Project current status:
Most of one do constructed. Still need to add tateage and connect the back and front together. No new pieces need to be cut for this.

A whole bunch of other pieces which are cut out and sanded, but not put together yet. Still need a few pieces to complete the other sode and a ton of pieces for all the kasazuri.

We've actually got a barrel already marked out for many of these pieces, just need to get around to cutting and sanding it.

zourtney

Yeah, you should definitely work on this some more. I think you should try to get one full suit complete (more reward, less effort, less likely to be abandoned). Yeah!

Brad

It's that time of year again...

I thought I would update the status on the craft projects I have been involved in.

Status: Need more plastic pieces. Everything is stalled until we get around to cutting more plastic pieces. Specifically for the shoulders. Then you would at least have something wearable. Hopefully Nick and I can eventually get time to get together and cut these pieces.

Nick

Let me know when you want to. I am free most evenings except Wed (that's grandma night )

zourtney

Ah fun times. :) Sometimes I forget that I'm not an 8 minute drive away... :(

I'm about getting that "need to make stuff" urge too, so I guess I'll have to share via interwebs -- Randomland's purpose, realized!