• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Target Practice (A.K.A. Dude, let's go projectiling)

Started by zourtney, Aug 17, 2010, 09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Last week, Eve and I bought two small caliber rifles. We visited her grandparents last weekend and were able to test them out. It was good fun and I made sure that we cleaned up after ourselves. I don't have any particularly brag-worthy targets to show, yet, but I'll work on it :)

I now own the ubiquitous Ruger 10/22, a semi-automatic 22 caliber long rifle. Ruger 10/22 is to 22 rifle as Chevy 350 is to V8 -- millions made for nearly half a century and aftermarket parts galore. Ammunition is incredibly cheap compared to higher caliber rifles (and 17s, see next paragraph). So, as long as I can find a safe, isolated chunk of dirt and time, I think I might have a new pastime. Don't worry squirrels, you're safe as long as you stay out of the engines (but I know you want in).

Eve got a Savage 93R17, a 17 (HMR) caliber, bolt action rifle. Though technically a smaller caliber (as in diameter of the casing), that thing has a more satisfying crack, when fired. Internets have it that this round is designed to go far and flat. 22s are said to be inaccurate over 100 yards, but it sounds like 17 HMR will do twice that, easily. Eve was doing quite well. And with a little practice, I bet she could do it.

Because "without pictures, it never happened," here you go:

Eve's forte, as of last weekend, was shooting
the 17 from a sitting position.

Eve's grandpa takes a shot with the Savage 17
_

Eve with 17, from a standing position

I take a few slouched shots from the cheater's
(scope adjustment) table.
_

Eve tries the plain-Jane Ruger from a
standing position

Anyway, the point of this thread is: dude, let's go projectiling! Target practice with bows, rifles, ballistic pickles -- you name it -- we should try it. I'd be happy to let anyone* use what I have. So, yeah. Now we have a thread for this topic :)

* anyone -- as in, any person whom with I am acquainted and feel confident in their physical and mental capacity to effectively handle a weapon, sharp object, heavy rock, etc.

Nick

Cool. I go with up with Richard and my mom once and a while a shoot a little. Its fun. Brad and I were just talking about target practice. Though that was in regards to the police and how little practice they actually had. But I was saying that given free ammo that I would be at the range every weekend. Well, for a while anyway. Given a chain gun and free ammo I would be out shooting EVERY weekend :) Honda corpses be ware. 

So yeah, sounds fun. Lets go. I can probably borrow a few higher caliber guns to take along if anyone would be interested. I like the .22 for the cheapitude. But the bigger ones are much more accurate.

zourtney

Haha :) if we had that 30 acre plot in Christmas Valley, I'd say your (dead) cars would need a new home. One where they could be subjected to such abuse. If only, if only.

I'm actually pretty intent on getting a shotgun some time, but the consensus is that every gun cabinet has a 22 rifle. And it's a good practice gun.

Anyway, yeah, let me know when you have time. Bows and arrows are welcome, too.

Nick

My grandma just inherited 80 acres in California. Valued at about $5,500. And, as I understand it, completely devoid of most everything. She has never been there or seen pictures so I told her we might be interested in a road trip to check it out for her. That's similar to  30 acres in Christmas Vally. :)

zourtney

Indeed it would be (unless it's the top 70 miles of the state). I would be interested in going, unless you've got a full car already (and I'm not busy doing other things). It's been far too long since our last road trip. So who is "we" and when can we go? :)

Nick

By we I meant our usual bunch. :) And 'we' can go anytime I guess. Though finding some other things to do while we are in the area might be a good plan. It would suck to drive 400 miles just to find a bunch of dirt and go home :)

zourtney

I suppose that depends in how many lizards we catch. But yes, finding other things in the area is a good idea. Whereabouts is it?

I think I'm going to try and find a hillside to target practice on next weekend (28-29th). I'm not sure where or how yet, but that's really secondary to the "when." Anyone want to come?

Nick

Sounds fun. I would love to come. Like I mentioned before I will even bring a weapon or two to help show those dirty 'targets' who's boss. Or something. :)

zourtney

Eve and I might try putting some holes in some wood this weekend. And now that I know how to adjust my sights, I might be able to adjust it so I don't always hit right side... Or I just need to work on my Kentucky windage.

I don't know if it'll be Saturday or Sunday. Or if the weather will hold out, but yeah. Anyone interested?

Nick

Perhaps if some barrels don't get cut the same day.

zourtney

Ok. Just let me know. All awesome people on this board have a standing invitation.

Nick

zourtney

Of course, as I said "all the awesome people." And that surely includes you. And dude, it's pretty much just you and me. :(

...Now, where's that *crickets* emoticon :)

Nick

zourtney

Sep 25, 2010, 10:48 AM #14 Last Edit: Sep 25, 2010, 10:59 AM by zourtney
Just FYI, we are going to go tomorrow. Somewhere "around here." And cool forum people are welcome to come.