• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 12:21 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Dworf Fortress - Sucession Game

Started by Nick, Aug 28, 2010, 09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

George Nory is not a frightening looking individual or anything. It was just an example. I'm all for imagination. Somehow mine's gotten fairly stale. :(

Brad

I have returned to Lovebronze.

My first few days were marred by the drowning death of a careless dwarf and the complaints of an angry mayor. I'll fix your room up for you sir, but I am not producing bismuth bronze items whatever you mandate.

I've equipped the militia commander with our lone steel battle axe. From what I've heard he has earned it. I've also created a new squad of marksdwarves and given them an archery range to practice on.

Today I found a room full of caged but heavily armed goblins. I've ordered them disarmed and will use their weapons in some traps I am constructing but what do I do with these troll leather loincloths?

An unfortunate incident occurred today... A glassmaker went insane and started attacking his fellow Lovebronzians. The militia was forced to kill him. Apparently he locked himself in the magma glass furnace workshop and demanded a certain type of glass. When we were unable to produce it quick enough he went insane. His body has been entombed in the mass crypt.

zourtney

You stole the goblins' pants? That's low, man.

Nick

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html

Dwarf fortress 2012 is out!

New stuff

cities in adventure mode that have various buildings, dungeons, items, livestock, etc.
    protect your community from secret vampire dwarves or hunt them as an adventurer
    defend your fort during the full moon or risk a werewolf infestion -- hunt/be hunted as an adventurer
    face armies of the dead in dwarf mode or visit their necromancers' towers and learn their secrets as an adventurer
    evil regions where the dead and pieces of the dead can come alive, with evil mists and rain
    tombs built in world gen which can be visited in adv mode, either beneath towns or out in the wilds -- beware the dead!
    revamped justice/witness/death notification system in dwarf mode
    immigrants to your fortress will now be historical figures whenever possible, which means more family relationships and history for each one
    dropped items/bodies tracked between plays in the wilderness anywhere in the world
    more battlefield information tracked/war dead raisable in world gen
    all sponsorship animals and their giant/man versions are in the game now
    various new abilities for creatures (see file_changes.txt for list and syntax)
    adventurers can use creature abilities/learned powers and they can be tested from the arena
    new site travel map to make navigating towns easier
    reading/swimming/observer (for traps) relevant in adv mode now
    established historical figures can lead bandits
    rivers block movement in adv mode travel
    eating/drinking required in adv mode
    ingested syndromes are now possible
    ability to make campfire (from 'g') and warm items at campfire/fire/magma (from 'I') in adv mode
    traps work in adv mode, once spotted they can be ignored
    gems now have different cuts
    necromancers can write books about various topics (all books are in their towers as it stands)
    moon phase indicator in fort
    alphanumeric world gen seeds and some more world gen params (see file_changes.txt)
    the legends xml has a lot of new info for historical figures

Major bug fixes

buffer overload from aborted world gen fixed
    fixed cave-in-on-embark issue with hidden underground structure, and a few others

Other bug fixes/tweaks

designations over z levels all at once now possible
    unit screen divided into four sections
    rivers/pools have ramps now
    able to trade portions of stacks in both modes
    messed with adv mode currency trading and made items teleport to you
    tweaked how fire damage works
    made vision work through floor grates and bars properly
    fixed some road/bridge problems
    crystal glass items possible again
    tweaked adventure mode swimming and alt-movement readout (use alt-movement to get into a river you want to cross)
    skeletons/zombies replaced by animation effect
    demons masquerading as gods will try a little harder
    restricted mandates so they'll be more reasonable
    stopped blank map from being exported when you back out of detailed map export

zourtney

Nice! Are you going to start another game? I still haven't even seen this game...but I enjoy the stories which come out of it! Is Randomland a Dwarf Fortress server? Is that how it works?

Nick

No, that's not normally how it works. You can set up a running game to connect to via ssh though (you would only get ASCII characters though. Someone should make a remote, tiled client for it.)

I hope  to start a new game soon! So more stories to come!

Brad

I'm waiting for the updated lazy newb pack to come out before trying the new version. Hopefully that'll be soon. I'm ready to discover evil vampire dwarfs and fight reanimated corpses and stuff.

We could do another succession game but I really think we need more than two people. Skill/experience not a requirement. Also, I suck and I dropped the ball last time. Hopefully with a kid that goes to bed at 8:00pm and sleeps through the night I'd actually be able to do things in a timely manner.

Nick

They lazy newb pack just updated! Even before that the phoebus tile pack and the dwarf therapist were updated already. No you have no excuse!  Break earth!

Brad

Courtney and Cody, You should play a succession game with us! Completely sucking is allowed in fact it is pretty much preferred.

Now is a great time to play as you won't have a heck of a lot of time after the little one appears, believe me.

Nick needs somebody to complain about how bad of decisions they make other than me.

Nick

That wasn't me.... that was the grumpy foredwarf!

zourtney

I totally confused. But I hear a call to suck. And that's a call I can answer! What do I need to do?

Nick

It's there is one thing that I am good at, it's helping people suck!

Here is a link! It will take you to a place to get an all-in-one pack for the main dwarf game and to some graphic packs and utilities.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

If you want to start a world on your own you will have to generate a new one and then embark on it. Otherwise you can wait for Brad or I to play one just a little and get it stable.

Game play basics:

"d" - The key you will use the most. This is the "Designate" key. It opens the menu for digging, gathering trees and other useful tasks.

"b" - The second most used key. Opens the build menu. There are a few sub-menus (like for the furnaces, wall/floor type constructs and traps.) This menu lets you build industry and utility buildings. Workshops, kitchens and all the like will come from here.

"p" - The stockpiles key. Used for making areas that are designated for storage of goods, garbage, raw ore or most anything else in the game. Always make refuse piles outside to prevent miasma.

"i" - The zone key. Use this for designating area as a pasture or fishing/water gathering locations. It's other uses are rather easy to miss use. The garbage dumb option only kinda does what you think. This is not for getting rid of refuse, that's what a refuse pile is for "P" menu.

Use the Dwarf Therapist program for easily managing your dudes. It offers an easy interface for seeing what the dwarfs are proficient at and what tasks they have or have not got turned on at any time.

That's all for now. Ask us or consult the wiki for more!

Cody

This game...it makes no sense to me. I am somewhat reluctant to try it, but everyone here seems to think it is pretty awesome.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Cody

I guess I just don't really understand it. Perhaps I will download it and give it a try when I have some time.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett