• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 09:04 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Target Stands

Started by zourtney, Sep 06, 2010, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

I decided it would be handy to create a simple, collapsible target stand. Without going into unnecessarily boring explanations, this is what I've decided to make.

Collapsed, it will measure about 36"x27"x1.5". Upright, the center of the target will be at about 2ft from the ground. So it'll be short; but shorter is safer (and probably makes little difference once you're past a stone's throw distance). If this proves to be a workable design, I can make a more and stack 'em up in the trunk. The center board (with the crappily modeled target) fits in a channel and is about 21"x21". The idea is that you can just slide a new sheet of wood in there when needed.

Time to go finish the project. And take pictures, of course.

Brad

What keeps the target from collapsing after being shot due to the force of the blast? A higher powered gun would most likely go straight through without much movement of the target, but an arrow or a pellet gun will probably push it pretty good.

Nick

And these would be set up in front of a proper backdrop to catch any projectiles that might pass though the target, yes?

zourtney

Sep 06, 2010, 10:30 PM #3 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 08:11 AM by zourtney
Quote from: Brad on Sep 06, 2010, 05:56 PM
What keeps the target from collapsing after being shot due to the force of the blast?

Friction, of course. Towards the front is a bolt in each side. I have a wingnut attached for easy tightening. Cody and I each fired a shot at it with his 17 caliber (which is a small but fast round). It didn't seem to budge. I think it will be sufficient. (I'm trying to learn to not overbuild everything to death.)

Yes, if we were shooting larger caliber rounds, it might knock it down. If it becomes an issue, I'll make a "kick stand."

Quote from: Nick on Sep 06, 2010, 09:31 PM
And these would be set up in front of a proper backdrop to catch any projectiles that might pass though the target, yes?

Of course. Always shoot into dirt! In our 2 round test, they passed right through the plywood and into the birch seen below. 22s are a slower round so they may not pass through, but I'm guessing they will.

More pictures at: http://randomland.net/ImageStream?keys=&tid[]=948&tid[]=938. (Sorry, BBCode hates our ImageStream links).

PS: let's go try it out :)

Nick

What happens, when from excessive use, the middle is all torn to shreds? Perhaps a replaceable middle square could be bolted on? Then we could also test out efforts at bulletproofing things. :)

zourtney

The plywood slides in down a groove in the vertical members. I cut an extra one. It's sitting in my trunk :)

Nick

If you cut out the target area and made places to attach the target paper, you would no longer need to replace the OSB after use. Just an idea.

zourtney

Yeah, I could always carve it out with a jigsaw after it is sufficiently riddled. I might be able to make a paper holder from my OSB scrap, too.

Oh, and yeah -- I think it'd only keep its angle for two or three archery shots. But that just depends on how tight you smash the wood together.