• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 06:42 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Should I get a Civic?

Started by Nick, Nov 03, 2010, 02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

After doing some research it seems one of the best options for fuel economy/drive-ability/price is a civic. It pains me to say it. Mostly because of how many of then are out there running around. But in order to get more then 30mpg on the highway without buying a tin can or a hybrid (though I did see an 05 Civic hybrid for $6,500) seems to be a Civic. After putting a little work into my Camaro I should be able to get $4500-$5500 out of it (assuming someone actually wants to buy it.) 

If I went with a new car I could get am $8,000 tin can (not that they are unsafe these days, but offer just barely enough passenger room and that is all.) But how fun would something like that be to drive?

What is the consensus? I can never make up my mind about anything, so I value outside input. I know brad has been content with his Civic.

Should I Civic it? Should I keep my current car as the annual saving would only be about $500 or so?  Should I find a different car that is less popular simply for the sake of perceived originality? (NOT ANOTHER GEY CIVIC!)

Brad

I've got a litte red two door 5 speed 8'd be willing to sell you... Seriously though I have driven a lot of Civics and they are actually really good cars. Awesome gas mileage a small amount of zippyness and very reliable. Why do you think there are so many out on the road?

If you do get one get a manual. They are slighter harder to find but much more fun to drive. Gas mileage may be slightly different but not much.

Nick

I have looked a little and the manuals ones are locatable. Just have to drive to random dealerships or to some guys house in Washington. But that's only if I want to be picky about color.  I think your right about why there are so many on the road. People wouldn't be buying then in the numbers that they do for no reason. And parts will be easy to find.

If I could stand to voluntarily get a red car I would strongly consider that. What years are your two Hondas?

zourtney

Nov 03, 2010, 06:56 PM #3 Last Edit: Nov 03, 2010, 06:59 PM by zourtney
(I think they're 98 and 05, but I could be wrong)

I've looked at them on numerous occasions. The searing pain of the early-2000's DIY import craze has finally subdued into something more of a burn mark that is healing well, though still slightly warm to the touch. The idiot drivers I so despised back in those high school days seem to have moved into the corporate world. There they have found themselves the financial power to purchase oversized diesel trucks.

I haven't spent a great deal of time in Civics, but my only (forgivable) complaint would be regarding the build quality of interior components. I find them generally less comfortable to ride in than many other cars, especially Brad's older coupe. Things like the console and dash buttons are perfectly adequate, but seem to lack pizazz (or something which I can't really express). They don't ride as quiet as some cars; I'd put Brad's '05 at nearly as noisy as my '95 Camry. I see a great deal of the ~10 year old ones fogged out when the rain starts to flow. This could be bad moisture barrier-ing or it could just be bad, unfounded anecdotal evidence.

I'm sure you'll notice that your Camaro could have those exact same gripes...Interior build quality especially; I find GM interiors to be just a step above atrocious on most all levels imaginable.

In a word: yes.  :)

Nick

That's a rather critical yes. But with everything there are pros and cons. One thing that I really like about the camaro is how quiet it is on the highway. I would have to drive a few things and see how comfy the seats are and how loud the thing is on the road.

Brad

A lot of road noise has to do with your tires as well. So make sure the tires are decent on cars you are testing or you can't really compare.

Also, I have driven an 05 Civic (not mine) for a 12-hour straight drive before. It was comfortable enough, not that anything short of a semi is comfy to sit in for that long of a period of time. I wasn't getting any serious discomfort or leg cramps or anything. I have noticed that the driver's seats seem more comfortable than the passenger's if that makes any sense.

Interiors vary wildly from year to year as well. In the 98 civic the hair on top of my head brushes against the roof all the time while driving. In the 05 I never touch it at all.

As for fogging up... the 98 is not great in the rain and wet for fogging up. The 05 however is really good; windows fogging up is not something you ever have to worry about.

You need to make sure to test drive a bunch of stuff and see if you like it.

zourtney

Quote from: Nick on Nov 03, 2010, 08:33 PM
That's a rather critical yes.

:) perhaps, but I did not mean it as such. That's about all I can muster in the perceived "cons" column. It's not a luxury car and it's not a sports car; everyone knows that. Frankly, most people don't want that. And buying with that in mind, it's probably one of the best cars out there. Practical and fun are a good combination. (Are you trying to get me car shopping again??)

Nick

I'm not trying to get you started, but feel free to join in!  :) But I have started driving allot again and its costly to do so. So I was looking to sell my car (or trade it in.... though its worth a good $1500 less that way) Something comfy and practical is a better option. I have the bike when I want a little zoom. If I could do a straight trade across I would be the happiest. Save me the trouble of having to sell the Camaro. But that thing  is so fun to drive... and I just spend $330 on tires.... Poot. Tire cost and (what seems to me to be) excessive wear rate are part of why I want to sell the thing.  :-\

Nick

So... now its looking more like a 2003 Toyota matrix or Pontiac vibe (they are the same thing)

A few MPG points lower then the Honda, but more room and a better looking internal finish. But I still need to test drive them both to be sure.

zourtney

Lil' Corollas can be alright, too, though I haven't really driven one myself. I really like the Mazdacars, though they seem to keep their value well (aka, out of my price range).

Getting a Camry/Accord level car might be more enjoyable in the long run. More car for about the same price (if you're looking 5+ years old, anyway). Eve's Camry's a good old car (aside from the dirty mess I keep it and sloppy console).

Where was I going with that...? Beige. FWD. 4 doors. Auto trannies. So domesticated, yet so easy and useful. ...Whatever happened to my high-school automotive zeal?

Nick

I did it. My car is posted for sale. Not sure how I feel about it. It would be nice to just start stashing them away in a hanger someplace. Time for something less fun and more practical.

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/2519915453.html

I might have to do a little more repair in it before it will sell.

zourtney

I agree. I would much rather have a hanger full of cars and an unlimited budget...but yeah. Gotten any interest yet? It'd be sad to see it go, but understandable.

Also, I'm guessing the interior has "minor wear" as opposed to "miner wear," though one can never be fully sure. :)

Nick

Jul 29, 2011, 01:23 PM #12 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2011, 01:26 PM by Nick
Nope. I have been transporting coal miners for extra cash.  :)

zourtney

Fascinating. That would damage the interior.

zourtney

Now, I know neither of us would go out and buy a brand new car...and this is just a little internet of bored people sitting around typing. But, for what it's worth:

10 Cars You Should Recommend that Aren't the Honda Civic

I really like the Mazdas 3's. I may get one some day. And the Fiesta looks kinda cool (and less like a joke than the 80s version!). Still, they all pull you instead of push you around. :(