• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 05:58 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Lightsaber Videos

Started by Cody, Feb 27, 2011, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody

So I got inspired the other day while watching lightsaber movies on YouTube. I decided it would be cool if I could make a movie of myself with a real looking lightsaber. Well...after about a day of looking at stuff and downloading a trial version of Adobe After Effects (which is a really cool program by the way) I did manage to get a couple decent looking videos. I figured this could make a good Randomland article thing. I have no idea how to make them...again...though. So yeah, if there is a place to post these or something let me know.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Feb 27, 2011, 01:01 PM #1 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2011, 03:16 PM by zourtney
Yes, yes there is!was. I made a Randomland YouTube channel a while ago. I just deleted it in an attempt to "migrate" it to the Google Apps account...which failed because it's not letting me reuse the "randomnets" moniker. I posted a question on the YouTube forum and will try again in a few hours. I'll let you know when it's back up...

Edit: it's back up. I PM'ed you the login details. If you have a problem with it, contact me or Nick.

Cody

Feb 27, 2011, 04:35 PM #2 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2011, 06:06 PM by Jacsveus
Got my two videos uploaded to the Randomland YouTube Channel! Let me know what you think of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLfRb43W2hQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLfRb43W2hQ

Edit - Another video I just made. Somehow I just keep throwing these things out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHB3rb3P0dA
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Haha nice. I especially like the last one. It even made Eve smile!

Nick

More then slightly cool. I think we may need to make a mini-movie featuring these photonic foils.

Cody

I've been trying to convince Kolby to get over here so we can film a short short fight sequence. I'd like to try this with two sabers clashing together and whatnot. Not sure how well I could pull it off, but it shouldn't be any more difficult than what I have done already. Alas, Kolby is busy with school and work so I am stuck here filming myself.

Speaking of filming...I don't suppose anyone has a video camera capable of recording at anything higher than the super crappy quality my camera takes do they? Figured I would ask. It's a pain in the rear trying to edit the tiny grainy video.
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

You can try my/Nick's old "big" camera, which does 640x480...but surely your big camera does at least that, right?

You could borrow my video camera, but it'll have noticably worse quality :-\

Cody

Yeah I have been using my big camera which does 640 x 480. I didn't think anyone had a better video camera than that but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

My new camera technically does 720p, but your big sensor will look better, even at slightly lower resolutions...but you're welcome to try

Nick

You might look into some of the newer USB webcams. Some will do 1080 at a decent framerate. But, like z-man said, the big guy will do better with its (comparatively) large sensor and much, much better optics.

If I ever give in and spend some monies and get a T2i I will let you use it all you like. Something like that should match any video camera less then $2k. Perhaps even then it would be close. But that's for another thread.  :)

zourtney

I didn't think I'd mind the lack of video on my DSLR, yet I occasionally  do wish it were there. If we ever do YouTube videos or something, a decent video camera would be nice. But in the long run, I must say, "whatever"; I am brimming with electronics.

Nick

Yup, I know.
Pretty soon even the kitchen microwave will have wifi and a camera built in, so you can upload your 'cook'en meh foodz dance' video to you tube, while you microwave your burrito.

But still, the prospect of some kind of high quality video device is tantalizing. Especially if it can do some motion detection and turn on some lights (Those thieving rodents won't get away this time!!!) Or if it will hook to a computer to do the same thing.

That and 4x4 craziness.   

And the prospect of cool photon-foil (Magnetically contained plasma blade with crystal harmonics? MCPBCH?) videos.

Cody

You know, with this new found interest in video editing, I would almost pitch in some money for a good quality camera. Of course I would want to have a job before I went throwing my money into that sort of thing, but yeah. I think it would be fun to make some decent quality movies. There is no reason for it I suppose....but we can always put them on YouTube! Speaking of which, I think it is funny I got two comments on one of my videos within a day.
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Feb 28, 2011, 04:23 PM #13 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2011, 10:00 PM by zourtney
You did?! That marks the first Randomland YouTube comments ever! Congrats :) You somehow manage to make content that people actually view...so make more! :)

Cody

I was rather surprised myself! It's cool though. I don't expect to get many more but I suppose you never know. Oh, and I have another one in progress. Learned a few more tricks with that program and wanted to try them out. I will probably finish the sound tonight or tomorrow morning and post it!

And as a PS of sorts, one of the people that commented on the video asked us to join his friends list thing or something. Figured I would leave that decision up to you guys.
   --Boba Fett