• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 02:28 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Lightsaber Videos

Started by Cody, Feb 27, 2011, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Like a YouTube befriending? I say go ahead and spread the randomness as far as you can, unless you find the person creepy or insulting.

We also have a Twitter account (@randomnets). Feel free to post to that, too. (BTW, YouTube upload are supposed to tweet, but it seems broken...)

I was kind if considering making a Facebook account. I generally avoid Facebook, but we could add little, like "like" buttons, and, like stuff.

I didn't know the videos had sound until last night. How did you do it? It's pretty sweet. I recommend adding them to a "playlist."

Oh, one last thing: I uploaded a montage of Francine gravel pit videos. It's nothing special, but I figured that was better than uploading a dozen individual clips. Let me know if you have suggestions. I might do more, too! Like Francine videos from Nick's backyard, go-karts, etc.

Cody

Oh the sound....

So I know there are about 50 better ways of doing this, but I chose the hard way because I guess I am difficult...and because the trial of Adobe Premiere was 1.2 gigs or something.

1- So what I did was load the video into VirtualDub and save the original audio into a file.
2 -Then I took that file and loaded it into Cool Edit for something to work from.
3- And then...going back to Virtual Dub I would go through the video frame by frame until I found the point at which a sound should start and throw one in. I got the sounds from a few nifty free sound packs I found on some site I can't remember the name of at the moment.
4 - After that I just saved the multitrack session into a single .mp3 file and loaded it into Virtual Dub.

This, of course, requires a massive amount of tiny tweaking and can get rather frustrating. But hey! Everyone, including one of the guys on YouTube, said the sound was great so I guess it doesn't really matter how it's done.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

I feel another tutorial brewing :)

Nick

Yes!... another page that might actually get read. :) As opposed to the rest of the site.

Historically, the rice your ride and foam sabers pages have been the hardest hit. A tutorial on making said video effects should do just a well.

Go for it!

Cody

New video up. The description kind of explains what I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDf929ppykQ

I know it's not perfect and the sound might not be quite right, but hey. I had to take a video of me doing my spin thingy and then a video of where I was without me in it and then mask off the stick where I didn't want it visible so you saw the blank video in those sections instead. If that made any sense. Anyways, another neat trick I learned.
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

There does seem to be an excessive amount of woo-woo sound during the twirls, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, that's pretty awesome!

Tutorial time :) we should definitely do something with this!

Nick

That's cool. We should film some dueling, some car chases through the woods and dress some midgets like bears! 
Perhaps even set up a complete green-screen someplace....

For the woo-woo sounds, you might need some little generator that will create a sound based on relative velocity of the stick and length of swing. Generating  different sounds based on weather the saber is traveling parallel with the camera or towards/away from the camera too.
Then you could have rather even sounds for slow movement and more of a bell-curve of intensity for faster swings.
Buts that all probably a bit much for now. And would take work.

Anyway. Keep it up!

zourtney

Dude yeah! We should make some videos in the woods! That, and I really just want to waste some time up in the woods. But what should we make?

Nick

Recreate the speeder battle with gokarts?

Cody

Mar 01, 2011, 01:24 PM #24 Last Edit: Mar 01, 2011, 03:22 PM by Jacsveus
That would be great if they worked!

Edit - And I somehow managed to make another video, outside this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyuurbLjc2c

Don't think I am going to be able to come up with many more of these. At least not by myself.
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Awesome! I like it. Now let's do two!

Cody

I need some good ideas of what to try and make. I'm all out.  :(
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Obviously you need a sparring partner. I suck, but would be willing to try.

We could also make an honest attempt at the "OH NO! The steering wheel fell off"....but that's easier said than done.

Cody

Mar 03, 2011, 09:00 AM #28 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2011, 09:03 AM by Jacsveus
Both would be fun. Not sure how I could help with the steering wheel one but I watched it the other day and it actually made me laugh. So yeah, it is unnaturally funny. And Nick's green-screen idea = awesome...even if it's not exactly practical or useful!

As for the sparring thing, I don't think either of us need to be too great at this point. It's not like I am looking to make something "epic" at the moment. Mostly I just want to see if I can pull it off and make it look good. And the trial days are tick tick ticking away...I'm going to be sad when they run out.
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Yeah, you should at least take some screenshots while you're using it that way you can make a Randomland page later. What other kinds of things can you do?