• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 07:18 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

My 2003 Pontiac Vibe

Started by Nick, Aug 22, 2011, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I done bought a Vibe. Silly name, I know. But it seems like a solid vehicle. Paid $4600 for it (more then reasonable. That's what the KBB/Edmunds value is, and I almost never see a vehicle go for what those two say they are selling for.)

Its a grey, manual 6-speed with 180K miles (Mostly highway, as they all say) and a bad AC clutch (easy fix, and something to be expected on a high mileage vehicle if they used the AC often.) Inside is reasonably clean, outside is the same. The engine is quiet and sounds like I imagine a new one would. Other then the AC everything works. And it has a sun roof!
There will be pictures soon.

My only complaint about it is with shifting. It has a really short throw shifter, and I am just not used to it. My Camaro had a nice, long and lazy shift throw. It's also lacking a little on low-end in comparison, but then I have been spoiled in that regard. But the Vibe is very revvey (redlines at 8k) so, as they say, its got some zip to it.

I will be keeping close tabs of fuel mileage in the next few weeks to see if the numbers I have seen reported are close to accurate.

So, I will also be replacing the clutch on the AC compressor (GOts to have my airz!) and doing a general tune-up and fluid checking. As anyone should be doing on a higher mileage vehicle with unknown service dates (I got the info that it had had a checkup recently, but no receipts or anything.  ) I am going to do my best to keep this thing running past 300,000 miles :)

zourtney

Sweet! Sorry it didn't work out Friday evening, but the end result is the same...you got a car! I'd like to come check it out some time.

Let me know if you want any help/lazy-person-standing-around-taking-pictures. We could also do some Blazering.

Oh yeah: pixz!!!1

Nick

Just say when. I am up for blazer bashing all week. I really want to get the new starter in it before we camp again.

As for the Vibe, come and check it out! You take it for a dive if your curious to how it feels on the road. 

zourtney

Ok, maybe I can get pulled over for "not wearing a seatbelt"!

What engines do those have, Corolla engines? Or something a little meatier? I miss shifting. :( next car, next car...

Nick

This one has the engine from the corolla GT-S, and the matrix XRS. Its a 2ZZ-ge (Wikipedia.) Its also used in the lotus elise :P

Its more them peppy enough and should keep the car from getting boring. But there is a huge contrast from the 280hp and the massive low end of the LT1. I guess I will have to get used to driving the thing like my bike. The KLR hates it below 3k and get sits pep after 3.5-4k.

zourtney

Aug 22, 2011, 02:05 PM #5 Last Edit: Aug 22, 2011, 02:08 PM by zourtney
Hmm, cool. For whatever reason, I had always assumed the Vibes to be slow, noisy, and not very efficient. Probably just a mischaracterization from Eve's stepmom's old one. Which I never drove. And you know what they say about assumptions... Plus, I hadn't even known it had Yota guts. I fail at being a car guy :(

But yeah, come join the 300k club! We do...well, it's not really a club. Most of our time is spent driving to events. Awesome club, eh? I'll be hitting the Big 3 before the end of October. Excessive odometer pictures will ensue.

Nick

Odometer pictures welcome! High mileage cars should be celebrated!

Mine seems no more noisy they anything else I have driven. On par with the Camaro for road/wind noise I think, far quieter for engine noise. I will have to put more miles on it to really decide.

zourtney

zourtney

Where are the pictures? ...not like I haven't seen it yet...or ridden in it....or sat next to you while you put a new radio in it. But yeah!