• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Dude, we should go backpacking.

Started by Nick, Sep 02, 2011, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

At some point. I want to go. It sounds difficult but rewarding in its seclusion from the forest-civics. All you need is a large backpack, a small tent, a small sleeping bag, warm cloths and some food. Everything else is extra. Except extra camera batteries, those are a must.

I think I will be getting a light cook-set soon and a backpack. Anyone else think they want to venture into deep woods?

zourtney

I do. I don't know when, since I don't really have the proper equipment, but I like the idea. If I can find a decent backpack under $120, I'd probably spring for that. I just haven't been looking at them too closely. Any suggestions?

Nick

I have been looking at them off and on for a while now. I think the High Sierra ones offer a good price to performance ratio. There are cheaper ones, but they are cheap. There are more expensive ones, but your not getting much more for the extra money. Usually just a lighter pack or better waterproofing.  REI packs seem to offer the most features for the money though. If they ever have the Mars 80 pack on sale for ~ $100 again I will probably get one.

REI encourages you to take your gear into the store to test packs out. That alone might be enough to get me to buy one there.

backpackgeartest.org - Good review site for all things camping/backpacking

REI outlet - Good prices with a small selection. Only place to get discounted REI packs. Amazon has better prices on the Sierra packs. But cant try them on first there.

Nick

The said Mars pack is now $103 at the REI outlet. I thinks I will get one. Its a rather large pack, but I am not known for packing light.

Cody

Backpacking eh? It would be fun if only I was a bit more in shape.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Did you get the pack? I'd be interested in seeing it, if you do

Nick

I did. It should be here Wed the 14th.

The price on the outlet site might change, might not. But it's also fall now, so new stuff might be showing up soon.

85l is kinda huge, but the quality of the REI packs is pretty high compared to anything else in the price range. Hopefully I can just pull all the straps and collapse the thing if its not completely full. I think that's how they are supposed to work.

Now I need a cooking setup of some sort and I should be about ready for a weekend trip.

zourtney

Cool. I'm not sure if I want to buy one right now anyway, but yeah. We should at least go camping next month, then you cam bring it!

Nick

It's been two years (man am I slow) but I finally went backpacking. I park the blazer on the upper road from the elk lake 'y' (the road that leads to the Battle Axe peak trail) and hiked trail 544 up to where it splits. At the split it goes right, to Twin Lakes, and left-ish to Bagby Hot springs, Silver King lake and lots of trees.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.84009,-122.1168&z=14&b=t&o=r&n=0.25

If I linked that right, you should be able to get a good idea of the trail.

I got up into the woods way too late the first night. It was nearly 7 and already starting to get a little dusky in the woods by the time I got parked and ready to move. I had started packing early in the day, but my ever present slowness and inexperience kept be packing and repacking my pack. I just kept trying to fit things just a little more comfortably. Get the pack to set just a little better on my hips. I still have no idea how much it ended up weighing as I couldn't figure out the digital scale...

The first incline of the trail nearly killed me. It is a series of switch backs up (a seemingly) vertical slope. Even without a 40lb (maybe? more then 30 for sure) pack on I would have been huffing a puffing. With the pack I found myself needing breaks every 50 feet or so. Any two foot stretch of flat ground became a place to lean back on the slope and catch my breath.  After you make it to the top of the switch backs you are greeted with wonderfully flat ground, cool air and swamps (perfect for diving.) When I got to where the Battle Axe and 544 trails come together it was 8 O'clock and dark so I decided to stop. Luckily there was a nice camping spot just off the main trail with plenty of space for my tent and a pre-made fire ring. It was a lovely spot for the night and a lovely spot in the morning.

The next day I hiked the rest of the way into the lakes, set up camp, ate lunch and then took a walk. My walk took me up onto a ridge overlooking the first lake and then down onto a trail to the second lake. All though area you are walking between transitions from grey, dead trees where the fire of '10 stopped and the tress are still green. It is a stark and sudden change, almost surgically sharp lines between the two areas. My walk was slightly hindered due to the fire, with much of the trail gone and only ribbons tied to tree to lead my way. Any camping sites on the burned side of the second lake are now gone, but there is still evidence that there was once some there. A scattered fire ring here, a bag of Mountain House meals and spent fuel, there. A rather bleak atmosphere. Trees as big around as my car, blackened and dead. But then you look to the other side of the lake and it is green and lush as ever.

I eventually made my was all the way around the second lake, not that there was any kind of trail to follow. I didn't find any camping sites until I  got back to where I started. On that part of the lake (by the inlet) there are a few in the living section, though you would never have guess that from the over growth of underbrush hiding the trail. What I did find on the green side of the lake was a full, unopened 5-gallon bag of water in a cardboard box. Strange thing to have out there. My only guess is that fire crews left it there.

After I got back from my walk I took a quick swim in the not-too-cold-but-actually-kinda-nice waters of the first lake. It was refreshing (and I hope, de-stinking). I hung my wet shorts and stinky shirt to dry using some nails someone left in a tree and my 550 cord. They still smelled funny, but at least they were not also wet.

After dinner I set back and drank my canned beverages while listening to some podcasts. At around 8:30 two other guys come jingling up the trail leading to the other lake (I think they were wearing bells to alert bears of their presence. I didn't really worry about bears. Except at night, then I worried. And kept looking to where my food was hung up to make sure it was still there. I was silly) I never met the two guys, but I could hear then chatting a little and splashing into the water, I would guess the one I could hear talking was in his 50s.

The next day I walked out after a light lunch. Walking out was much easier then in. I was used to the pack and there were no up-hill sections as bad as that first section. It was nice.   

More pics to come...

G+ image gallery : https://plus.google.com/photos/116590202831281511762/albums/5925835383398448193?authkey=CNWo6rrqoYSiYw

zourtney

Man oh man, what a triple dose of awesomeness. I'm not sure why triple, other than things sound more legitimate in threes. Anyway, those pictures are great and that's some beautiful scenery. It does a good job of showing off your new-camera skills too :) Do you have more pictures? Are you going to try and go again before it gets too cold?

...It sure makes me miss those hills and those scraggly fir silhouettes. But maybe this'll give me a little inspiration to hike around some swampy pines (Florida Trail) once the heat and rain let up.