• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 04:01 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Simple Torches

Started by zourtney, Nov 08, 2011, 09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Nov 08, 2011, 09:06 AM Last Edit: Nov 08, 2011, 09:12 AM by zourtney
A few weeks ago, after changing my oil, Jacsveus and I intentionally (and somewhat cautiously) lit an oil soaked rag on fire.

It burned brightly for about 7-8 minutes, and finally petered out around the 11 minute mark. Not a super long burn time, but impressive enough for used engine lubricant...a substance many would assume to be completely non-flammable.

Here's a little video demonstration of our first run. (Note: rock band was not present at the time of demonstration)

While I was doing menial stuff, like splicing together that video, Jascveus  actually went out and tried it again, mixing it up a bit. He found that clean fuels such as kerosene burn brighter, but for a shorter duration. And tightly wound cloth doesn't increase burn time -- it just doesn't burn. Predictable results, but good things to know.

As time allows, we will expand this experiment. Because torches are fun.

Cody

I took some of your advice and drilled holes in the end of the torch...which effectively made it look more like a flash suppressor than a torch. I also soaked a piece of burlap sack in clean oil before wrapping it on the stick in an attempt to soak all the material evenly and make the insides burn better.

Ironically, while this did help burn all the material wrapped at the end, it still only burned for the standard 12-15 minutes I have been getting. This may simply be the limit of motor oil. If i have more time today I think I will try the same process with kerosene and see what happens.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

Nick

For a long burn time you need a reservoir of fluid to wick up into the fire (like having a oil lantern at the end of a stick) or something that burns more slowly then kerosine.

Doing some reading suggests that pine sap is the traditional low-tech torch fuel. Being sticky and sugary it should work well. Also hickory bark and broom sedge when bound tightly work well, burning as long as two hours. - Society of Primitive Technology

"If a torch is made of sulfur mixed with lime, the fire will not diminish after being plunged into water" <- That's how the Romans did it. But they also had the kind with a reservoir and a wick.

zourtney

That was a fascinating read. I'd have to look back at it again if we were to try any of those because wow is there a lot of info there. Downtime camping project, anyone? :)

Cody

Fascinating indeed. I am tempted to try the pine pitch method somehow. That is if I can convince Anna that I am not totally insane to do so.
   --Boba Fett

Brad

Nice job busting the myth of the simple long burning torch. Hollywood has taught that you can leave a torch in a tomb for a cople thousand years before it is found, picked up, easily lit and then stays burning for at least 90 minutes. Also they don't go out if you drop them down really deep holes, shafts, caverns, etc...

Life is so much harder than you'd think eh?

zourtney

This random experiment (started with literally nothing more than dirty rags) has taught me two things:

1) Hollywood has an obsession with torches.
2) ...which is strange, because lamp/wick style lighting has been around for a long, long time
3) and is a lot more practical

Ok that was three things. I guess lamps just don't look as cool on screen, eh?

I still like torches, though.

Brad

I think it is because lanterns are harder to wave at undead mummies, vampires, frankenstein's monster and nazis.

I wonder what Hollywood uses to get torches that burn so well?

zourtney

Good question. Though I'm sure longevity is not relevant. Big flames are!

I like the idea in that article of glowing balls of pitch. Long-lasting and modular (so to speak). I almost wonder if that gives off a better light -- like the light from coals is generally more pleasant than the harshness of large flames.

Experiment time? Just don't throw them at people (probably).

Cody

Well our pine tree over here is leaking copious amounts of pitch in case anyone wants to come set some on fire. Just take it off the tree first!
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Nov 11, 2011, 12:45 PM #10 Last Edit: Nov 11, 2011, 12:59 PM by Nick
In movies you often see the torches dripping some fire onto the ground. Perhaps they are using some form of gelled fuel?

Or a solid fuel like cooled wax that the torch was dipped in before having more layers of cloth applied. That might allow for the heated wax to wick to the surface and burn.  I have some defunked candles...

Edit: Here is another good article. http://survival.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2011/11/survival-skills-how-make-torch

Cody

Not only have I experienced this, Kolby actually burned his hand pretty good because of it. As far as I can tell it is just the excess liquid that can't stick to the fabric falling off. Oh....it also makes really really awesome sounds!  :D
   --Boba Fett

Cody

Double post...

Anna and I just went out and put some pitch on a tiny piece of burlap sack. It burned for about as long as my large kerosene torch if not longer. Obviously the light output (lumens) was significantly less being that it was only a piece of cloth about 1 x 3 inches rolled up. But still! More data for the cause.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

I wonder if there is a way to get a web cam to measure lumen output...

Cody

I picked some pitch off the tree and melted it in a tin can over the wood stove. After it turned into a nice gooey paste, I smeared it all over a piece of cloth and put strips of wood in it...

I quickly rolled it around my metal pole and lit it on fire expecting an epic blazing torch of movie proportions! ...But that wasn't so much the case. Yes, it did burn. Yes, it was awesome. No, it is not still burning. Actually it only burned for 10 minutes. A time less than that of the oil torch. This could simply be because I didn't use enough pitch. Perhaps I will try it again.
   --Boba Fett