• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 12:55 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Projects which will never see the light of day

Started by Brad, Feb 05, 2012, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

So I just lost an entire programming project to accidental deletion. I have been working on the sequel that no one has asked for "HIPPOS!". This was the sequel to Pickles the Hippo. It was written in C# using XNA.

I'd just finished the collision detection, sprite animation, level loading and was working on the screen scrolling and "cloud" and "water" type collisions.

Yeah, I never resetup SVN since the last time we had a server swap so it was all stored in a single folder on the hard drive. Which got accidentally deleted. Like 3 weeks ago.

This was my project to learn XNA and write a whole bunch of libraries which I could use for other projects. Losing my work on collision detection and the multi-layered tile system particularly sucks. I estimate about 20 hours of work lost total.

At this point I don't think I'm willing to go rewrite all of that again, so "HIPPOS!" is pretty much dead. Temporary stop on all my XNA development too. Can't blame anybody but myself though.

Brad

In light of this incident I'm thinking about using something like bitbucket to store online Mercurial repositories. I'd use git but it just doesn't seem windows/c# friendly enough.

I would use google code or github but they do not allow you to have private repositories where as bitbucket does and it is still free. You're limited to only 5 collaborators, but hey I don't know that many people willing to help me with crap.

There is a Tortoise client for Mercurial and it is similar enough to SVN that I should just be able to use it without any issues.

Nick

Feb 06, 2012, 09:56 AM #2 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012, 10:47 AM by Nick
If you had any of your code on the old SVN repo, then I still have it. Nothing was lost from moving servers (yet) its all on the older, smaller harddrive still.

SVN and GIT are both installed on the new server. They just need some slight configuring. If you want, you (Brad) have an sudo enabled account to play around with. :)

(EDIT: SVN is setup. Git seems to be a pain in the rear to set up... so that is being left half configured for now. I seem to remember it being easier with the CentOS package)

Go to http://randomland.net/svnmanager for easy SVN management. You and zourtney have accounts. Standard temporary password was used.

How is git not friendly to C#? It has a windows client and can do any kind of line ending you want it to.  (Edit, its a pain to configure)

Brad

It was never in the SVN in the first place. Totally my fault.

I did find an oldish backup with some of the stuff still there but missing collision detection and other things.

zourtney

Ouch. (reminds me I have a whole desktop full of stuff I need to back up...)

I liked using githib for my gas log program. But I did that mostly on a Mac and their newish GUI is decent and hides some of the more painful aspects of git. And has a simple bug tracker online. But yeah, they don't give you private repos.

I'm thinking of trying some WP7 code here in a few weeks. If I can get around to it...I might just use the Randomland SVN for that. I want to try a few native app ports of the gas log.

Nick

By the way... the webdav address for the SVN stuff is randomland.net/svn