• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 01:47 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

MineCraft

Started by Nick, Aug 21, 2012, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

So I bought MineCraft. Too long hearing about so many people playing, I figured there must be something to it. Truth be told, I don't really know much about it and I think I like it that way. Almost everything will be a surprise, like it was when I first play Terraria. 

Anyone have a server that they (Cody, I guess is the only one :) ) play on that I could join?
Anyone see a benefit in starting up a RL server for it? (I am going to need to get some beefier hardware if I keep adding things for that poor machine to do)

Brad

I was considering buying that but I now don't like buying PC games unless they are at least 50% off. It does look interesting though. It would be fun to play with you guys.

Nick

I was thinking the same thing. No discounts? No coupons? $25? But then I was thinking "If I made this game, I would want people to pay for it." So I did. Also, I spend more in a month on take-out and coffee. I can easily not buy more food and just eat a sandwich. 

I think it would be cool to play all together. I will set up a server (unless Cody has one he want us to use, I could even host it for him. My internet is lots better then it used to be.) We can make towers and kill invaders.

Little pricier then Terraria for everyone, but it's not that bad. I do kinda wish it was on Steam.

Brad

I still have sooo many games left from the summer sale I haven't played yet that it is hard to justify the purchase. It is on my "eventual purchase" list though.

Nick

Haha yeah. I know how that goes. I have spent my $100  yearly game allowance now.

Cody

Well, I am a little late to the conversation it seems. Spent the entire day rewiring the house.

Minecraft is fun! and playing together in that game could be fun too. Not quite the same as Terraria, but it has the benefit of having an endless map. You can explore forever! You can be more creative too with the third dimension.

If Nick can host a server, that would be cool. My internet wouldn't handle it well I am afraid. Let me know! I will certainly play with you guys.

And to Nick...while Minecraft isn't a Steam game, you can run it through Steam and make use of the Steam chat. How exactly I forget...but I could find out again.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

Nick

RL server is up...

Nick

And 'Yup' I need more beef in the box.

With two people playing the servers free memory dwindles and resources go scarce. (Also, firefox gets real sluggish when minecraft is running on my PC, odd.)

:/ To buy more parts or not. Maybe. But only if I can get it to go low-power consumption.
If only that crappy mobo could take more ram.

Anyway. Game is interesting so far. Cody has put more time into the server then I have and build a little home in the hill (better then my impromptu hole in the ground to play with crafting while not getting eaten.)

Cody

If it is just the two of us I can try and host the server. You would have to send me the world file. I am sure my internet can handle two peoples for Minecraft. Not sure if my computer could handle it better than yours or not though.

Also, I would suggest this! I really like it and feel it adds a bit of something to the game. Check it out if you think it looks interesting.
http://www.olgh.net/minecraft-1-3-2-256x-lb-photo-realism-pack-v8-0/
   --Boba Fett

Nick

My PC could run it fine, it's the RL-server Linux box that is a little on the slim side. I emailed some Craigslist dude to see if I can get some used hardware that will push it closer to modern equipment for a reasonable price.

Nice texture pack. Do you play with that? Does it remove any of the charm?

Also, I think I might have found a mod that makes trees completely fall apart if you cut the base. Floating trees annoy me. I can't see why they would put that in the game. 

Cody

Hmm does it take away from the charm? Maybe, but I prefer to play with that pack. So yes I do use it. The vanilla Minecraft is rather ugly I think.

As for the trees thing...I wonder if that makes you get all the wood from the tree if you chop it's base like in Terraria or if it destroys the rest of the tree.
   --Boba Fett

Cody

Also, I was able to find this video again in case you are interested. Worked perfectly for me. Gets Minecraft to run through Steam with the overlay functional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNqy9j3HwlM
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

I almost could want to try this, if you guys are playing it. What exactly happens? You're all crafting in the same world at the same time?

I still think it's funny that the game looks like it was made in '96, but is crazy-popular. :)

Nick

Yup all in the same huge world mining rock and ore and cutting trees to craft tools and build structures. Cody made a huge tower. I made a few hovels and a small tower.

At night things dangerous with creatures coming out. You keep them at bay by hiding inside your houses or with lots of torches.

You can totally join us! It would be fun to help build a castle!
Some new server parts should be here soon to help with it's low memory problems. As it is now it gets a little laggy sometimes and freaks out a bit. 

Nick

Aug 28, 2012, 04:29 PM #14 Last Edit: Aug 28, 2012, 04:31 PM by Nick
Here is an overhead of our world.