• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 08:10 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

My Car is Crunched

Started by Brad, Aug 22, 2012, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

So if you've checked Facebook lately (and you are also my Friend) you may have noticed that my car has some structural integrity issues... basically the rear-end is crunched.

I won't find out until later today whether it is officially totalled (insurance guy has the final word) but the mechanic has indicated that is a likely conclusion.

So I may be in the market for another car! Yay! Going from a fully paid off car with only 100,000 miles on it to having 4-7 thousand dollars is really not a good trade off. I can't actually buy a comparable car for that amount of money. Time for another car payment! Woo-hoo!

I need something reliable that gets decent gas mileage. So no cheap beaters. I actually drive this around for work so it has to look semi-professional. Any suggestions?

Nick

That super sucks. No one was hurt?

You can totally get a car with around 100,000 miles for 4-7k. Mine was $3800 and runs well but has 180k, mostly highway I was assured. (But who knows.) I just had to fix the AC pumps clutch. For a few grand more I could have got an accord or civic with decent miles and condition. (I really like the newer accords. But that's me.) If you want something newer though, you will have to pay a hair more. And to find good deals it takes a while (though I am sure you don't the time as your car is da busted)

What are you looking for in a car? Just a good commuter or perhaps something that will be a good all-around hauler? Want a bed to haul barkchips/sand in?

Just a sample of what is out there:
http://portland.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=accord+%282005+|+2006+|+2007+|+2008+|+2009+|+2010+|+2011%29&srchType=T&minAsk=1&maxAsk=8000
I see one or two that may meet your criteria (though they area automatic :(

Buying cars sucks. It takes a long time to find one with everything you want, otherwise you end up paying several thousand more or settling for  something 'close enough'.

Brad

Unfortunately I don't have much time to search as I only get my rental for so long and then I won't be able to get to work...

Nick

Yeah. I figured as much. No searching for 5 months like I did. I also had the luxury of selling my Camaro after I found the Vibe.

So what cars are you considering?

zourtney

Dude, man, that sucks :( sorry to hear it. Glad you're ok though.

Eve and I are getting along with only one car at the moment as well, but under slightly more favorable circumstances. Car shopping sucks...but don't rush it.

What cars are you looking at? Stuck in a Honda rut? Going to try something else?

(By the way, having a "professional looking" car is way overrated, in my opinion...)

Brad

Nick

zourtney

I hear those are lots of fun to drive. But they're sooo expensive...last time I looked, anyway.

Enjoying it?

Brad

Yeah I am enjoying it a bunch. It isn't the model with the supercharger but it still feels pretty zippy. When inside it doesn't  feel that small. There is plenty of headroom. We actually fit Luke, Melissa, and I in the car without any problems.

It is a 2006 Mini Cooper. We got a good deal on it, $8900, which is close to what I got for the civic.

zourtney

Sep 03, 2012, 06:15 PM #9 Last Edit: Sep 03, 2012, 06:17 PM by zourtney
Not bad. More than I'll be able to put into a car for a while, but down from the $20k I remember 4-5 year old ones going for back in the day.

Supercharger? Heh, now that sounds fun :) :)

Brad

20k used? Wow, must have been for imported ones or something.

Yeah the 's' model has a supercharger and is a 6 speed manual. They had to remove the spare tire to make room for the supercharger though (the battery got moved to the back).

Mine is just a regular Mini though, not an S.

zourtney

Yeah....that was probably longer ago than I think it was too...but yeah!

Now I have to decide what car/vehicle I want to get...and when.

Nick

Let us know how you like it. I have always wanted to try one of those out. Like a street legal go-kart?

Brad

Haha no, it definitely drives more like a car than a go-cart. Next time we meet up I'll let you take it for a spin.

Nick