• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 06:18 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

The VW Buggy

Started by Nick, Nov 19, 2012, 02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Nov 19, 2012, 02:15 PM Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012, 02:43 PM by Nick
Well, I bought a buggy; Jacsveus was there!
After looking at buggies and karts in the area a $600 VW caught my attention on that good old list of Craigs.

The people who sold it thought it was a '68 engine, but the numbers on the case say different. Looking up the code below the generator says that it is a:
QuoteAH    1973-74    1600cc 48bhp DIN, 46HP SAE-net. USA-only
Still I have no idea if it came from a bus or a beetle or if it matters. I would want to know if I need parts....

The transmission (also an AH code, but not related it seems) is from a 69 to a 71...something. I think they put them in both Vanagons and Beetles.  Again, nice to know for parts.

The thing is SHORT by sand-rail standards. I'm   thinking they cut a foot or so off a stock bus pan (The frame and floor and all that) and welded the front back on. It looks like it will turn around nicely and should be fun in the woods :) Might need some different rear tires though.

It barely fits under the covered area behind out shop... had to lay the front lights down, unbolt the rear one and have Jacsveus stand on it to compress the suspension a little. :)
Pictures!

Cody

Indeed! I had a great time too. The thing does need a little fixing up both the body and the engine, I would say. Otherwise it looks like it will be a fun little (big) go kart toy to zoom about in!

I got free apples out of the trip too.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

That is super awesome. I wish I could have been there! I want a project like this, too (and places to run it).

Keep us updated! I think this deserves a front-page post! :)

Nick

So far I have changed its black, yucky (but not sludgy) oil and replaced the (younger than it looked from '06) starter (only $45. Yay.) flushed/refilled the transmission oil and replaced the fuel pump with not only a working one but a  better one.

When I was changing the engine oil I decided to check the transmission oil (and had to buy more box wrenches and some allen-key sockets. It takes a 17mm allen to get the fill plug out of the transmission. Harbor freight was the only place I could find one in stock. Now I have a whole set up to 18mm. Who hoo.) Anyway, the transmission was COMPLEATLY empty. I really hope it was never driven like that. The people who sold it to me said something about changing the clutch recently... so I hope they just forgot to refill it. Otherwise I might be having to rebuild it in the future. 

After doing all that and getting it running I found a massive oil leak coming out of the back of the engine where it bolts to the bell-housing (only leaks when running.) I hope they just messed up the flywheel seal (rear main seal for the rest of the auto world) and it will be a simple fix. I got the seals and orings and have cleared out a spot in the barn to work on it where I can keep dry and clean(er). Now I need to move it in there and take the engine off. If it's a crack in the block (apparently there was a weak spot back there on some years that tended to get a hair crack) then I don't know. JB weld? Tig welder at an auto shop? We will see. 

While the engine is off I think I will try and make a bolt-on skid plate to protect the case from rocks and the like. I might have to start cutting metal off of the Suri frame. May she be at  peace.

So much for being ready to go, just needs a fuel pump.  :-\ Still, as long as I spend less then $1000 total to get it moving it will be a good deal. I'm in it $700-ish total so far. Could not have got an FL350 odyssey for that. But I could have ridden an odyssey already.

Sorry for such a long post. More pictures soon!

zourtney

How are things going with the ___insert awesome nickname here____ buggy? I need to come see it :)

Nick

Due to a head cold, then cold weather, and then general busyness helping people move I haven't done anything since I moved it into the barn. So it's nice and dry and has a few chicken feathers here and there. With some warmer weather I should be up to messing with it soon.

zourtney

Ah, bummer  :( Sorry you've been sick. A few chicken feathers certainly won't hurt such a venerable off-road machine, though. Cow pies might though...  :P