• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 10:49 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

RPG Maker

Started by Cody, Mar 10, 2013, 10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody

So I have been reluctant to post anything about this...
If you are my friend on Steam (and you are ever online...Court) you have probably seen me using a program called RPG Maker VX Ace. A very awesome program that lets you make your own Secret of Mana/Chrono Trigger style RPG games.

I've been working on something for about a week now...and it is slow going but it is actually finally becoming something more than just a map or two you can wander around on. If it ever becomes anything more, and anyone has any sort of interest, I might put up a download for people to try.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Awesome! Defiantly let us have a look when it is ready!

You going with any kind of theme for it? 

Cody

Well, it has a plot of sorts and is set in a medieval time period. Not terribly original I know but it is a classic.

The main problem I have with putting up for you to try is that unless you own the program you have to compress all the game data with it which makes it 200+ megs. Not sure how exactly I would share that.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Mar 11, 2013, 04:42 PM #3 Last Edit: Mar 12, 2013, 09:09 AM by Nick
You are free to upload it here. I can give you SFTP access.

zourtney

Sounds cool. How customizable is it? I need several other me's, so I could have time to play with stuff like this. :)

Cody

It is about as customizable as humanly possible. If there is anything not built into the program you can use their script feature and just code your own scripts\features. I have had to use a few already.
   --Boba Fett

Cody

I seriously spent all of my free time today trying to get a stupid campfire to work properly. It can be rather frustrating at times.

And completely unrelated to the fire, I might as well post this picture for the fun of it. Just a bit of the stuff I have to deal with to get things to work.

--Boba Fett

zourtney

That's some of the most awkward conditional syntax I've seen! :P

Cody

Haha! Perhaps to a programmer. The program actually makes it pretty easy to do that stuff...it just took me a while to figure out how all those conditional branches and variables/switches worked in relation to things you want the game to do. I pretty much understand it now though.

And here is a screenshot of my actual game in case you are interested.
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Very interested. Very cool :) So, I'm assuming those are just stock graphics? And that you could customize the heck out of it?

Cody

Indeed. I have had to make a few custom textures already but I've done my best to maintain the same art style. If you were really ambitious you could make all new textures/animations/sounds/music and create an entirely different look and feel...but I am definitely not that ambitious.
   --Boba Fett

Cody

Mar 15, 2013, 09:21 PM #11 Last Edit: Mar 16, 2013, 11:37 AM by Cody
Just thought I would post a picture showing dialogue, choices and whatnot. The program has a built in portrait and sprite generator which makes making unique characters easy.

Edit: WOW. Apparently I have a bit of a typo there I need to fix.
   --Boba Fett

Cody

To anyone who may still be paying attention to this, I've done a lot of research about the best way to make maps and stuff. Apparently the program has a feature called parallax mapping. Basically instead of using a grid based placement, you use a program like Photoshop to make your maps and then import them and set where you can walk/not walk and everything. After a ton of work this is what I got.

http://i.imgur.com/g41i2AE.jpg
   --Boba Fett

Cody

Bringing an old topic back to life. (maybe) Just a screenshot of what I am currently working on.

--Boba Fett

Brad

So does this picture imply dynamic lighting? Or is it statically setup pre-compile?