• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 06:05 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

I bought a car.

Started by zourtney, Oct 06, 2013, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Oct 06, 2013, 09:56 PM Last Edit: Oct 06, 2013, 10:50 PM by zourtney
Friday I left work early, drove two and a half hours toward then-tropic storm Karen, and found a lil' new friend. It's a 2dr 2004 Focus SVT. It is tiny, imperfect, and has 6 forward gears of fun-enough-for-me.

2.0L DOHC 4cyl, 6spd manual, 170hp, 106,000mi

Ok, it's kinda ricey I suppose...my 17 year-old-self would likely flip out. But it's mostly factory rice; slightly overstated and simultaneously bland. Unrefined, yet comfortable.

It drives pretty well and keeps me entertained (lots of shifting). From everything I can tell, it is in decent shape while still exuding enough quirkiness to keep things interesting. I'm thinking it's the toppest-o-the-line model. Heated seats (not tested), sunroof, HID headlights (90% sure those're stock), traction control(?), and little steering-wheel-mounted audio controls. It even has a 6-disc CD changer, because people still used CDs 10 years ago.

Now, some previous owner did try to "smoke" the tail and sidemarker lights. I'm a bit embarrassed by those, though it has a monochromatic appeal the red taillights wouldn't give... Regardless, they've hazed over and it looks like someone scratched it with their fingernail just to see what would happen. :P Also, the front bumper adorns some meaningless, faded numerical sticker. But no matter, the bumper's paint sucks anyway. Maybe some day I'll bother getting it repainted. Or not. (I'm really enjoying relearning the apathy of having a used car)

So far, the two broken things I know of are:

• the automatic passenger door lock doesn't work. Internets suggest this is $15 and a Saturday away from being fixed.
  • only the bottom half of the rear defroster seems to work. Probably.

This is essentially the same car I found in town and test drove a few months ago. Not as clean, but has a few more options. Anyway, the above pictures, plus a few more can be found here.

Nick

It is very unimposing. Looks speepy on the outside and ricey in the middle. :) Like sushi. And not in a bad way.

I like the interior a lot. (Those seats look comfy) But I have to agree with you on the 'smoked' tail lights. I was looking at the first picture and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. It was like looking at someone with no eyebrows, you know something is off, but cant place it until it's pointed out.

Welcome back to the land of five-fingered gear change! Eve driving the other Ford?

zourtney

No eyebrows :) hehe, yeah I know what you mean! It has that look even with stock tail lights...there's just all that bare, rounded sheet metal hanging out down below! That awkwardness is part of what I remember hating about them when they came out way back when. But, for such a divisive design, I'd say it has aged decently.

Anyway, yes Eve will continue driving the blue box. It serves us well. I really only got a car so I could get myself to work; and this one ought to let me enjoy all 11 minutes of it. :) And actually, I may end up not driving myself to work every day. Till now, Eve's been driving me to work and picking me up (duh). Getting the three of us out the door and into the car is a nice little routine that has its perks -- like impulsive coffee/donut stops in the mornings and a reduction in risk of catching that nasty cabin fever. Plus, we all often go to the store together or find something to eat in the evenings. But mostly it staves off cabin fever. (Even so, it sat all day today and now I want to drive it :) )

Regarding the seats: they're not "comfortable" per se, but they are very nice and in excellent condition. The sides are designed rather narrow and very stiff. Ingeniously, this make you want to corner a little harder and cut back on them candy bars.

I think maybe perhaps Eve almost likes the little car -- the shifting at the very least. Putting a kid in a carseat in the back is, well, less likable (we tried it this past Sunday). Impracticalities aside, I'm cautiously optimistic it'll be a good little car.