• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 06:27 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Netflix

Started by zourtney, Apr 24, 2009, 11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Once upon a few months ago, Netflix was the awesomest. Now, don't get me wrong, their services are getting better all the time. However, I think I got kind of burned out. I suppose there is still a lot of stuff out there worth watching, but nothing new, really. I think we've had our current two movies for three weeks now...

Nick

I find that I have to go and look for things I would not normally watch. As well as catch up on classics that I missed seeing in the past. I have seen a few movies that I would never have seen otherwise that I rather like by taking a little chance. Plus the instant view option allows you to just stop the movie and find something else if it sucks. Plus you can watch Myth Busters online!!

Brad

I've started watching old movies I haven't seen since childhood and also getting TV shows on DVD since I don't have cable. I also use the instant watch thing all the time.

I think mostly the problem has been that there have been so few good movies come out in the last two years I just bought them all and I don't need to Netflix them.

Nick

I have cable yet still find myself finding interesting old movies on netflix rather then watching TV. You never really realize how much time commercials take up until you don't have to see them. Though slow connections and constant buffering is just as bad. 

Brad

I've actually found that since they changed the player they use I don't have problems with buffering or low quality.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Nick

I too have noticed fewer problems. But I share the network here with people who sometimes like to watch things online too. It just cant handle both of us at once (the network that is.)

zourtney

Through the powers of Netflix, I recently watched The Evil Dead movie. It was as W
"wow" as I remember. The next two are queued up, so I'll probably see those soon as well. Unlike most movie series, I think the latter movies were actually better. But my movie memory s exceptionally dim. We'll see.

Nick

They get better I think because those people are figuring out what they are doing. You should get "Drag me to hell" as well, its by the same director and in the same style but with more budget.

zourtney

Bruce Campbell has been sitting quietly on my movie shelf, just waiting to be let out. Rumor has it he get's his chainsaw hand this time around. I'm almost positive I have seen them all (Evil Dead marathon at Nick's?). I remember almost nothing from them though.

...life could be worse!

Nick

Its a very 'first world' problem; wondering what movie to watch. :) So I will never complain about whats available (at least not too much)

zourtney

So true, so true. I try not to complain (except in jest), though I think I fail all too often. And donkey basketball, 'cause it's the best of all.

Man, Randomland iz da koolest.

zourtney

Netflix on the Xbox is kind of cool. It's slightly more convenient than doing it from the computer, because everything is there already. I'm surprised they haven't put out a Wii channel...actually, doesn't the computer version depend on Silverlight or something? Maybe Microsoft has a "deal" with Netflix.

Nick

It used to be flash. But yes, it is now silverlight. It works better then it used to... but you also can't buffer a whole movie anymore or control the quality manually. But the quality increased and there is less buffering going on. Even with my slow connection, unless my sister is watching Dexter at the same time.
Microsoft probably gave them some incentive to help popularize silverlight.

zourtney

Microsoft? Dealing in contractual advertising schemes?! Never!

zourtney

I tried steaming some Netflix video last night. At first, it was working ok -- connecting slow, and downgrading video quality every once in a while. But it was tolerable and not terribly annoying. However, after finishing the first episode (about 50 minutes long), it totally crapped out and wouldn't play more than a minute's worth of video without reconnecting, rebuffering, and re-angering me. I tried it both on the XBox and on the computer with the same disappointing result.

It could just be that my internet connection is crap...it seems to be really flaky lately. Or maybe the 'Flix's got the ticks?