• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 06:39 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Freestanding Bike Rack

Started by zourtney, Oct 27, 2009, 08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Quote from: Nick on Oct 30, 2009, 10:20 AM
Now I need a bike rack for my motorcycle.

Don't go for a vertical stand  :)

zourtney

Oct 31, 2009, 11:18 AM #16 Last Edit: Oct 31, 2009, 11:28 AM by zourtney
Here is a simpler idea -- just framing up the post with some 2x4s cut at a 45 degree angle.

Bike Tree Simpler.3dm

The dimensions on this model have shrunk to 36" wide by 30" deep. Based on the other examples, this would be plenty big.

Nick

I like. That eliminates the need for a pallet, but You will still have to pay $10 for a sheet of OSB if you don't use a pallet. We have some I am sure you can take apart to make a solid surface out of planks (take two pallets and combine the tops into one.)

zourtney

I could also save myself some money by nailing a couple of 2x4s together instead of buying a 4x4. I think it is hard to find non-pressure-treated 4x4s. And P.T lumber seems to be 2-3 times more expensive. An 8ft 2x4 is like $2.

zourtney

Nov 02, 2009, 02:30 PM #19 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2009, 08:21 PM by zourtney
Nick, Cody, and I finished this project yesterday. Yes, we actually finished a project! I will probably do a full writeup of this, including a parts list and a Rhino drawing of what we ending up making. Amazingly, what we made was pretty close to the plan.

Lots more pictures (though not nearly enough) on the image stream, just filter by "bike tree."

zourtney

Nick, Cody:
Can you guys post your pictures? (or give them to me) I want to make a more complete writeup of this little project. Unfortunately, I didn't take very many pictures.

And now that we have wood left over from this project, I have an idea for a crappy little box to store my new amp in. It's probably a bad idea, but I'd pad it with foam or something.

Nick

Sure. And cool. Lets do it.

zourtney

Did you, Nick, ever put your bikey pictures up on the image streakers? I was starting to make a writeup thingy. Pictures are fun and help. I need to play in Rhino again, recreating what I actually built.

Nick

I think I put a few up. I think I got distracted last time I went to do put more up. Playing with LMMS or something (I just found a cool classic strings plugin for it now I have my sax AND violins) but I will throw some pictures up now, before I take to an early bed (I am so downed by the sickness.)

zourtney

Cool, lots more pictures up there, I see.

I made a better 3D model of the bike tree, here. It's a whole lot better because I finally figured out how to use the o-snap(!) settings.

Nick

Now you know why I sat across the room saying "oh snap" all the time :)

zourtney

I did it a lot when I was working on autocad automation as well. It's fun :)

zourtney

I'm almost done with my writeup for this thing. I made a bunch if AutoCAD drawing which will prove no use to anyone. But hey, whatever. I wrote it in Word actually. I was planning on making a downloadable PDF. But also doing a very similar Randomland page. Of course, it takes me two weeks to do anything.

Nick

That's not that long.  And cool, another page that's at the least 98% more useful then any I have made :).

zourtney

Bam!
http://randomland.net/rec/bike-tree

I little bit ugly, but I'm calling it "finished."