• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

I use my $600 pocket computer to play games from 1991.

Started by Brad, Mar 21, 2013, 09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

So I got a new phone because apparently having a phone which locks up 30-40% of the time whenever somebody calls you and having a pregnant wife are not compatible situations.

About 50 what-if situation lectures later, I headed down to the Verizon store. Crying (on the inside), I changed my plan over from a grandfathered "Unlimited" to a 2gb limit plan. No cost difference whatsoever. This was necessary because the non-subsidized rates for cell phones are crazy ($699???).

My new phone is the Samsung Galaxy S III, which is the same thing Melissa has which I rather liked.

I promptly installed ScummVM on it and am now playing adventure games in the 90s. Most of which have the word "Quest" in the name. I've tried out Police Quest, Space Quest, and Goblins Quest 3. Next up I'll going to play some of the non-quest games like Hugo and Day of the Tentacle. The good old days of computer gaming when gameplay mostly consisted of walking from room to room trying to use every single item in your inventory on every object in the game until you figured out the correct combination to move to the next room or were killed without any warning.

I'm sure it says something about me that I'm using a device with all the latest technology and huge amount of computing power (for something that fits in my pocket) to play games which where designed for a 286 almost two decades ago.

Cody

Haha I don't think it says anything bad. I use my computer to play old games all the time! Also, you didn't buy the phone just to play games from 1991. THAT might say something bad about you.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Actually, that's pretty awesome. I have fond memories of those silly games, despite how much I sucked at them. If I could have only one computer, and it fit in my pocket, and it played ancient games, that'd be good enough for me. Happy birthday, by the way!