• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 02:04 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Banner

Started by zourtney, Nov 12, 2009, 05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Bam! I am liking the new forum banner. It's fun. The only thing I'd suggest is adding "forums" to it somewhere to clarify that this (the forum) is not the entirety of Randomland...the "home" button of the toolbar doesn't really clarify that either, but yeah! Cool photoshoppage.

Was that done with all those wacky tree brushes?

Nick

No, the wacky tree brushes look like real trees :) Those are just 'free hand' (free mouse anyway.) If you look at a bigger version you can really tell :) I've had that image floating around since last Christmas. It just never got used for anything. 
Both fonts are random free ones harvested from the great wide interwebs.
     The main one is : ' http://www.dafont.com/ambulance-shotgun.font '
     The green one is: ' http://www.dafont.com/octin-spraypaint-free.font .'
Now no one can say I didn't credit them.

Head Here for the PSD file for use in GIMP or photoshop.

Here is an example of the image we are talking about (in case the logo has changed with the seasons and you find yourself reading this, not knowing what we are talking about.)

zourtney

You should upload your cabin as well. Itz da shizzle...or something. What kind of ideas do you have for the main Department of Random Forestry site's banner?

Nick

I have been thinking leaves of color and transparent overlays to create fading. Perhaps a gravel road and distant mountains. I don't know. Trying to keep with the seal and replace the spooky-trees with something more falling and seasonally festive. Maybe a turkey or two.

zourtney

Leaves of color is always a winner in my book

zourtney

Oh, there is a little speck of blue on the top "T" of the RANDOMLAND.NET in the forum banner. It shouldn't bother me. When I forget about it, it does not; when I remember it, it does.

Nick

Its part of the font.

Here is my first rather basic concept image. I was thinking more of leaves, but the little fungus caught my attention first.

zourtney

I would take leaves over fungus, if available, but I like the coloring. There is a bit too much brown or too much distracting detail in the brown twigs. But yeah, I can see that working

Nick

I think I might go for a wider overall spread. Perhaps centering everything and incorporating the seal into it. But I always have more ideas then ability.

Nick

Nov 16, 2009, 10:20 PM #9 Last Edit: Nov 16, 2009, 10:23 PM by Nick
Here is another variation of that idea.

I need to go take some pictures with this in mind. Get some low angle shots of a pumpkin sitting in a pile of leaves and the like.

zourtney

What the heck is that? It looks like Moonscape Indraustralia.

Nick

Apparently its no longer obvious that those are leaves. It a crop of a picture of a tree. All decked out in its fall colorings. Then given a sligh oil-paint look to hide the purple fringing. Its a part of this picture. I didn't find and pictures better suited for the task. But I only looked back a year (through mine.)

zourtney

Oh. I kind of see it now. I liked it better when I thought it was oil rigs and rusting metal on a distant, rocky moon though.  :)

Nick

I never saw it that way :) But now I kinda can.

zourtney

I think I mentioned this somewhere...There is a little piece of blue that looks like it does not belong. Perhaps it does belong but just looks out of place as there is some other weirdness going on on that T.