• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 11:54 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Video Encoder

Started by zourtney, Nov 15, 2009, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

One of my many computer-related projects is to get all the video off my DV tapes and encode them in to some compressed video format which will stand the test of time (DivX and Xvid seem to be around to stay). What programs have you used to splice and encode video with?

My ancient copy of Adobe Premiere does not like Win7 at all; I can't even install it. That program performed all video-related tasks I could think of, though its video capture wasn't my favorite. It also provided many hours of entertainment with all those "music videos" I put together (which I can't seem to find anymore :()

Nick

I have used vdub and some other free ones. There is the windows video editor (not the crappy movie maker but the better one) that's your best bet for doing WMV and I think it might do other codecs. For video capture most times I just use the amcap program (super basic but it works) though I am sure there are some open source ones that are a little more feature rich. If you want your 'eb-od-a' csi 3 suit back I can help with that.

Nick

This one:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

It is rather nice for a Microsoft product and actually took more then two minuets to figure out.

zourtney

I've got large videos lingering around from when we shot the "Oh no! The steering wheel popped off" rough cuts. Any new or different suggestions than what has been previously mentioned in this thread?

Most (or all?) of them aren't worthy keeping full quality copies of, but they have to at least look decent after compression, of course.

Nick

All the runners for the new html5 video codec should make a decent looking video. I would try the offerings from ogg (theora?) or the new one from google. But I would do that just to see how they look.