• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 01:19 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Blue teeth in a stereo

Started by zourtney, Nov 21, 2009, 08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

A few months ago I bought a little Bluetooth speakerphone to use in the car. It works quite well and am pleased with it. I don't like the earpiece, alien look, so this is a nice alternative.

I keep trying to buy another one but Newegg (where I bought our current one) is constantly out of stock. Today I had another idea -- do they make aftermarket stereos with handsfree calling technology built in? Yes, it turns out they do. And there appears to be a big market for it. 

Eve's car doesn't have a cd player so I was considering this as an option. A few minutes searching turned out this Alpine unit for about $180. Not a $35 bargin basement deal, but an interesting thought. I think Oregon passed one of those laws which makes you a criminal to hold a phone to your head and drive at the same time...but don't get me started on that.

Nick

Many people cant handle the splitting of their concentration. But I for one passed an internet test qualifying me to drive while talking :) (You had to drive a car and not break any traffic laws while counting the number of people dressed as bears walking around while making selections from multiple choice lists to answer questions from some British chick on the 'phone.' It was interesting)

Anyweasys.  Um cool. I like radios. You probably can get one with an Ipod connector too. I also think they make things that plug into radios to make them a handsfree thing. But you probably need an AUX in to do that.  Plus a bluetooth radio could play music from a phone or toothy enabled MP3 player.

zourtney

I've heard of those tests before, but have never tried one. But aptitude is irrelevant in the eyes of the law, if indeed it is coming. Things seem to say Jan 1st, but haven't seen it on any official-looking state website. (And I never watch the news)

zourtney

I found a several more head units with built in bluetooth capabilities. This is enticing because both of our cars have so-so radios. But it'll still be about $200...

Nick

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XHD7714/Dual-XHD7714.html?tp=5684

That one is at least the second ugliest radio I have seem. But it has both an HD radio tuner (currently nothing of big benefit) and the teeth with a hue of blue.

My favorite land of the eggs has them a little cheaper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&N=2102830557&PropertyCodeValue=6332%3A41010&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=False&SrchInDesc=tooth&Page=1

Frys might be a good place to look too. I wouldn't go there tomorrow though. Unless you want to deal with throngs of crazies.

zourtney

Yeah, I will pass on going to the stores tomorrow. But I'll go some other time. Are you a master car stereo installer yet? Happy thanksgiving, by the way.

Nick

Happy thanksgiving to you too (and to all.)
I have installed a few. Its not at all hard if you get the install kit for your car.

zourtney

Welp, I bought it. That Crutchfield site had it for $20 less than yesterday, so I got it. It came with free car-specific adapter harnesses and free instructions (which one reviewer thought highly of). The only thing I might be missing, other than skills, is a mounting bracket and blank cover. Then again, it might actually come with what I need, or it could already be there.

It'll be an experience. I just hope I don't wire something wrong and end up with a short that drains the battery. That's no fun at all.

Nick

I'll come watch, and take pictures when you put it in.

zourtney

Nov 27, 2009, 10:01 AM #9 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2009, 02:11 PM by zourtney
Ok :) It'll be here some time next week.

EDIT: yay, it shipped!

Nick

Isn't online tracking exiting!

zourtney

My stereo arrived yesterday. They shipped it out the day after I ordered it -- pretty good! So I think I'll try and install that this weekend, if I can find time.

I also have some old car speakers (in nice carpeted boxes) that I'd like to try and wire up, but I'm not sure where to put them. They're 6x9s, so they might not sound good on the rear deck (or whatever you want to call that flat part by the back window).

zourtney

I'd like to install the stereo soon, but it's been so cold out that it doesn't sound like much fun. I wish I had a garage!

zourtney

So, now that the stereo has been in for a few weeks and I've had a chance to play with it a little, I can say that I like it.

The installation went smoothly, although the soldering was a little time consuming. The CD player, AUX input, and radio functions all work well. Most importantly(?), the bluetooth phone part of the radio works quite acceptably. I have talked to Eve through it a couple of times. At first, there seems to be quite a bit of background noise, but it isn't actually that bad -- the person in the car is easy to understand. The mic is currently located under the steering wheel because it was the easiest place to route without drilling holes in the interior.

So far, so good! Some day I'd like to replace the broken antenna and try out those boxed 6x9 speakers I have lying around. But alas, too many projects...