• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 06:17 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Reinstalling windows

Started by Nick, Dec 02, 2009, 11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Dec 02, 2009, 11:25 AM Last Edit: Dec 02, 2009, 12:04 PM by Nick
After fighting with my soundcard for who knows how long it seem to be kinda working again (sounds in games no longer play through a haze of static and voices are no longer playing at half speed. In the end the fix was some old drivers. The latest release from my mobo makers site didn't cut the mustard as they say.

But now I have the interesting problem of the programs list being black in the start menu. This is with windows 7 RC, but is probably an issue that could affect the main release of 7. I don't know why it happened or what it was that caused it. It probably just happened to coincide with the rapid driver changes I was making, but who know. After this huge mess I am still considering getting a dedicated sound card, but am now in a little less of a hurry to put up $99 for something that should cost $35 by now.

And from my research, no one should ever buy an x-fi xtreme audio card. From what I read they are a crippled Audigy rebranding.

Oh yeah. And I guess I have to reinstall windows because I cant get to any programs without finding them on the hard drive first. I think I will give linux a little room and board this time.

zourtney

Hmmm, sounds like a mess. So does Randomland need to move to a new host OS? I can run it on my desktop at home for a little while, if need be.

Nick

I have another machine ready to take it on. The CentOS box is just waiting for me to move everything over. I will let you know if I run into any problems though. It would be fairly easy to make everything point to your place.