• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 02:18 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

iPhone / iPod repairs

Started by zourtney, May 15, 2010, 09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Yep, I'll do that then. It'll be good to gave the screwdrivers, if nothing else.

zourtney

I finally ordered my replacement screen.

Nick

Cool. You will definitely have to let us know how it goes. I need to open mine (yet again) and figure out what headphone connection is lose this time.

zourtney

We should have a "party." I don't suspect it'll arrive this weekend. But Maybe we could next weekend? Unless you get to yours before that. Breaking stuff (and trying to fix stuff) is always better with friends around.

Anyone have a heat gun?

Nick

My grandparents do! I haven't ordered anything. But I would like to get the tools that make opening iPods easier.

zourtney

My parts unexpectedly came yesterday (I figured it'd take a few days longer). I need to scrounge around and find out what tools I need. I think my glass kit came with El Cheapo "spudgers."

zourtney

I hadn't expected it, but my glass kit came with everything (including a iWhatever face sized suction cup, screwdrivers, and plastic scraping tools). You're more than welcome to use any of them, if they'd help.

Now, where to acquire a heat gun...

Nick

$10 is not bad for a heat gun. Would a hair dryer work :)

zourtney

Supposedly it works. It just takes a long time to heat it up. But if I can find a heat gun for $10-$20, it might be useful to have around.

Nick

Supposedly one will get the stress marks out of the plastic on my bike. I always wanted to try it and see. For $10 I might buy one. Or I can give you $5 and you can let me borrow it :)

zourtney

Hmmm, so a quick trip to Ace says  $65. Which is more like what I was expecting. Maybe I'll venture to Harvor Freight this weekend, I get a chance. Though I'm guessing it'll be slightly disappoiting, like many Harbor Freight tools. Bu Tia been a while since I stopped by...

zourtney

The phone is fixed! My older brother Kyle actually did the work. His phone crapped out and he needed something quick. So he fixed it up in my living room. We actually forgot to turn it off..! But it is back together and working fine (at least, as of last night).

I'll try to post some pictures "tomorrow."

Nick

That's pretty cool. How hard was it to get everything apart and back together?

Oh, and can I borrow your ipod opening tools?

zourtney

Pretty easy. There is one connector that is a pain to get back in to place. We had to take a meal break, otherwise something might've gotten broken out of frustration. But the rest is easy cheese. You may certainly borrow the tools! Just come on over, or I can drop them by next time I'm in town.

You're replacing the headphone jack?

Nick

I already replaced the jack. I need to open it to fix a loose connection that must not have gotten soldered all the way. Or one of the headphone contact pins might be bent back a little. Its WAY to easy to mess up the jack on the 1st gen ones.