• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Boxee (and the elusive Netflix streaming setup)

Started by zourtney, Sep 23, 2010, 06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

I was putzing 'round the internets last night when I remembered Boxee. I installed it and tossed it on over to my TV through an DVI->HDMI cable [not so] elegantly taped across my hallway floor.

I didn't get a chance to really sit down and watch anything, but I got it connected to my Netflix queue and it seems to work pretty good. They also have YouTube, Flickr, Pandora, and about a brazillion other different channels/app/whateveryouwanttocallems. Even cooler, there is an iOS remote app, which connects through WiFi. It mostly acts as a D-pad but pulls up the keyboard when needed. It was super-responsive and feels so twenty-ninety-five1. But boy-howdy do non-tactile remotes suck.

I don't know if it was the picture/music scanning or what, but it did crash on me a couple of times. Assuming it doesn't do this routinely, it might be a nice way to stream the 'flix to the TV. For a while now, Eve and I have been using the Xbox which has that nice standalone and  "not quite a computer" feel and is only about half as loud as vacuuming. They're coming out with a unit (Boxee Box) which looks slightly appealing for the same aforementioned reasons we've been using the Xbox instead of the computer. But I wouldn't get one (I'm not the early adopter type).

That's all.

Nick

Whats the advantage over dragging the browser window onto the second display and watching in full screen?

zourtney

I don't know. It's kind of like what Microsoft's Media Center program should be...not that I've used that much, either. I wouldn't say it's more convenient, but I do like being able to select what to play next from "couchspace".

Nick

That's what wireless mouses are for. Bluetooth? All the better.

zourtney

Yeah. I just got a flashback to webTV. Ugh!

Nick

Brad

I dunno I like not using a laptop for netflix streaming. That way I can work on my programming project even while watching tv.

zourtney

I like the thought of those DVD players with the Netflix streaming built in. But now Apple, Google, and every CEO's mom's dog's master's wiz-kid nephew is coming out with a standalone streaming content player. Competition is almost always good thing, and I welcome it in this realm. If I can't watch a show or movie at my convenience, I usually won't bother watching it (gee, thanks Netflix) :)

I've now streamed a few episodes (of Lost) through Boxee. The video gets just a wee tad choppy every now and again, but nothing bad. And I like using my phone as a remote. It's ridiculously geeky and quite useful.

...Oh, nice...it shut of the TV signal after ~10 minutes of standby.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it'll stick, but I'm giving it a shot...at least as an alternative to the easy-ish Xbox streaming (which requires Xbox live, may be getting a price hike). The program isn't without flaws (like episodes aren't listed in order??), but it's a new toy. And it's free.

But I'm still holding out for a nice standalone system (yada yada insert opinion piece concerning how the "Death of the Console Gaming System" never happened, despite vehement exhortations on the part of the PC gamer crowd, etc, ramble tamble, thank you, goodnight)

Nick

I like the veritility of having my computer plugged into the TV as a second monitor. That's only useful for people with computers within wiring distance of their TV. Perhaps TVs need 802.11g built in for streaming from ANY media server using some common protocol.....

zourtney

Yes, yes they should. And some Bluetooth for keyboards and stuff!