• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 29, 2024, 07:30 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

A crazy idea...

Started by Brad, Sep 26, 2010, 11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Interwebs have it that you've got parts! So what are you ideas about how it's going to look? I saw the link to the trim still. What do you do? Just run a router down an edge and slip it in?

Pictures! :)

Brad

Yeah, you use a router and cut a 1/16" slot in the edge of the board, then it just pushes in.

As for the look... well the actual construction is totally planned out, but I need to create the marquee, control panel graphics and side art. But before I can do that I need a name. so....

NAME BRAINSTORMING SESSION!!!
No name is too stupid, just throw out suggestions! Anything and everything you can suggest is appreciated.

Here are some of my brainstorming ideas:

Arcade Invasion
Retrocade
Multicade
Arcadezilla
Gamezilla
Hypercade
Classicade
Mutligame
Ultracade
Starcade
Arcade Assault
Game Blaster
Atomic Arcade (Machine)
Ninjacade 5000

Nick

Brad

I'm afraid that name might encourage too much "horsing around"...

OK, that pun was pathetic.

Nick

zourtney

While washing a pan in the kitchen, I decided that "Name Collision" would be an awesome name for something. Not your arcade machine, I don't suppose. Maybe a band or the maiden voyage of a 600HP motorcycle. Or a horse. But then "Mane Collision" would be more fitting (since we seem to be in an equestrian mood).

Really what I'm saying is that I suck at naming things. I am partial to the aforementioned "Retrocade". Probably because it combines retro, arcade, and teases with "retrograde" all in the same word.

Yeah.

Nick

Name collision would be a punk metal band made up of software developers.

I second the use of the name 'retrocade'

zourtney

"Name Collision" could definitely be one of those geek-punk bands.

Or maybe Arcamedia DRT!..Like arcade + media != Archimedes and  Death Ray + Cathode Ray Tube != anything.

Hey, you said no suggestions was too stupid. Still, I throw all my votes at Retrocade. That's like butter on the tongue. Well, maybe buttery cinnamon roles because just straight butter on your tongue isn't all that great.

kbye.

Brad

Ok I have started working on a marquee using the name Retrocade. Will post results soon.

Brad

All the parts arrived! Cutting and constructing tomorrow! Pictures to Follow! Still! Working! on! the! Marquee! Going! to! construct! without! control! panel! decals! Will! have! to! take! that! apart! to! add! them! later!

zourtney

You've been reading too many Register articles on Yahoo.

Brad

So yeah... absolutely no construction was got done yesterday. I am in need of another part for the router to cut out the slots for the t-moulding. Also there was a bunch of problems with the crappyness of the design of the trackball assembly housing.

Should be able to get the part on Monday and then start cutting and constructing... soonish?

Also, I have to decase and possibly rewire at least one of my speakers. Going to try to move the volume control and headphone jack to another location.

Will post pictures soon.

Nick

Whats up with the speaker?

Brad

Because of the way the speaker is shaped I can't just put it in and the cabinet and still have access to the volume control and headphone jack. Actually it sticks out at a weird angle and makes it impossible to mount properly. So I need to decase it and rewire those things to a different location. Then build a new speaker box for it. It is one of those creative pc speakers from a 5.1 system.

zourtney

I still have my old 4.1 Creative set, if you want. It has that external knob switch thingy. I think Nick had a similar se once upon a forever ago. I can post a picture if you have no idea what I'm talking about.