• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Randomland - Server Status and Information.

Started by Nick, Oct 20, 2010, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Here there will be posts about ranonmand's server, its status and relevant information.

VNC was recently set to only allow connections from the local network. To connect via VNC you will have to do so via the VPN, an SSH tunnel (use Putty, its easy!) or via a VNC client that supports SSH tunneling (there is a variant of TightVNC's client that will do this.)

zourtney

Cool. Good to know. I haven't had to get in to the server lately, but maybe I should -- fix up that Drupal 7 test site!

Nick

Changed the forums email setting to (hopefully) with with the google apps thing. If you aren't getting any emails, then its probably not working. And you probably wont see this without getting an email....

zourtney

I didn't get email. Or would I only be getting email if I subscribed to this thread?

Nick

I am subscribed to EVERYTHING! HAHAHA?

I get email if anything gets posted at all. But that's just me. Email is working. I got several. Though, we are limited to 500 a day.

zourtney

Interesting restriction. Incoming? Outgoing? Is spam counted?

And yeah, I don't subscribe to threads because I just check it every day  :P

Nick

Outgoing. All gmail accounts have this restriction. I an using the webmaster account to send out all the forum mail, via the gmail servers.

zourtney

Ok. Doesn't sound like that will cause any problems...not until Randomland hits the big time and has 7.6 million followers who demand custom email addresses and weekly updates via email that is.

Nick

At that point there should be some monies rolling in from 'the internet.' We should then be able to afford to pay for decent hosting, or a static IP and some real bandwidth or get the non free version of the google apps thing. All we really need is better hosting and we would be set.

Hmmmm. Now how to get that internets monies rolling in. I always get stuck on step 3 of my plans....

Step One ( Something productive )
Step Two ( Show it to the internets ) 
Step Three ( ???????? )
Step Four ( Profit! )

zourtney

zourtney

Nick

That's rather cool. I kinda like the idea of web giants not knowing the history of everything I have searched for. Not because I have anything to hide, but because its creepy that they have it, and because they want it for less then altruistic purposes.

zourtney

Feb 01, 2011, 10:42 AM #12 Last Edit: Feb 01, 2011, 10:47 AM by zourtney
Yep, my sentiments exactly. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I like the idea a lot. Assuming you can throttle it's bandwidth, this seems like a worthy background task for a randomland server.

I have yet to find a publicly exposed version of this search, which I find odd...

Edit: well, I sort of found some

Nick

You may have noticed a new look to randomland's forums.... and perhaps the main site not working.

The forums are now running on SMF 2.0 R5. The theme needs some work, I know. But now we have a mobile theme too!

Comments? Suggestions? Alternative themes to use as a base for ours? Let me know (or go for it. Most of you know the SSH passwords to upload things.)

zourtney

Hmmm, yeah I did notice. My forum-app integration broke. Looks like I have something to fix.

Is this step 1 of Project: Sevenize Already?