• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 06:21 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

I just read...

Started by Nick, May 30, 2012, 02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

This thread... it's suddenly so sticky.

Nick

I have finished the Game of Thrones books that are published so far and I have moved on to Gardens of the Moon: The Malazan book of the fallen, book 1. If you like the world that Morrowind/Oblivion are set in, you might like this book. It is set in a world where there is magic, different species of humanoid all living together, other realms where Gods rule over all and shape the inhabitants and the landscapes, and a human run empire seeks to rule all the (mundane) lands. (Any of this sounding familiar?) It's even complete with thief/assassin/mage guilds.

So far the book has followed a group of (almost) estranged elite solgiers of the Empire seeking to unravel supernatural mysteries and overthrow the last of the free cities.

Brad

So I started reading (listening to actually) Stephen King's book Black House. This book is a sequel to The Talisman which I really liked.

My first impressions are "what the heck?". This book is redefining what a "sequel" is to me. The very jarring switch of perspective to this floating third-person birds-eye-view perspective made me question continuing with the book. Also the book starts at a glacial pace with long descriptions of the town and county. Eventually the book picks up and starts to get interesting but I have been listening for over 2 hours now and the main character hasn't even been introduced yet.

Quite a change from the lord of the rings meets tom sawyer style book that is The Talisman.

Nick

If I remember correctly, I liked that one. But I have liked most of his work, so that's not much to go off :)
I really like how several seemingly unrelated books all start to get tied in with the Dark Tower series.

I am currently slugging though (listening) some book late into the Wheel of Time series. It's been at a slow spot in the story for two books now... but they can't wait around forever. I hope.

Brad

Finished Black House and it was really good. Despite the strange intro I really got into the book and enjoyed it quite alot.

zourtney

Nick