• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 30, 2024, 02:08 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Design and Layout Suggestions

Started by zourtney, May 19, 2008, 07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

There are other ways. If its just permalinks that you want we can find one that has that feature, or move to a host with the apache rewrite thing installed. I still have copies of the old gallery if you want it.

zourtney

Have you played any more with the Joomla or Drupal test sites? I fully support the Randomland Department of Forestry design. And I can play in da pshopz, if it'd help.

Nick

Let me know what needs helped on with the gallery and I will do my best to assist. You have a SVN repo set up for it? As for ditching wordpress I am all for it. I sure we would do what we wanted to with it, but the alternatives seem more geared to doing what we want to start with. They were around before the "blogosphere" and all that and know what a real site is.

zourtney

blog n. an informal writing composed, read, and transmitted through various digital medium.
v. the act of composing a blog (n)
? > ME blah + L -g > bl[ah -> o] + g

Nick

I thought it was just short for "weblog." A public forum for all your most personal thoughts. :)

zourtney

No, the root word is definitely "blahhhhhhh"  ;)

zourtney

WordPress my heiress!
(it just rhymed)

I forgot what I was going to write...
Oh yeah.

Suggestion:
Make posts on the front page styled differently per-category.

For example, make anything posted in "Opinion" have a comment-bubble style and say more obviously, "Posted in 'Opinion'." We could make the "Recreation" posts be a greenish block with some fance, as well. "News" could look like a piece of newsprint, or something.

Yeah, this would require a new theme. So, yeah, we should decide if we x86 the WP and spew the Joom or flip on the Drupe.

Nick

I is make doodle. See doodle?

What think doodle?

Nick

May 30, 2009, 04:08 AM #38 Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:13 AM by Nick
I made some mock-ups of the top banner. See any you like?

"FilmyLand"

Nick

I think the tinyportal thing will let you do that. Articles from different sections can have different icons next to them (I think)

zourtney

I'm diggin' the blue and green themes. Not quite excavatorial1, but it's a good start. I think the biggest thing holding back tho site theme right now is (what appears to be) missing body DIV formatting, most notable on admin pages (link). Look at the "welcome" text...it's pretty hard to read. It seems like that should be a gray body-background there.

And some more thoughts:

• Poll is excessively wide
  • I'm pretty sure I have to log in twice (SMF password sync related?)
  • A custom gallery keeps itching my programmer brain
  • I'd be nice to clean up/delete/order old stories (like paginating the Francine Saga)
  • I don't know how the system works yet...How to edit theme, front page, etc

1 from to excavate. The state of being indicating a highly favorable opinion of the subject in question. An emphatic form of vernacular dig

zourtney

Replying to old, ancient post:

I like the current banner on the forum. I'd like to do a custom one (for some reason I dislike using canned images).

Nick

The Francine story is is a "book" which is a "story" with multiple pages to use the drupal lexicon. Its more or less the same as it was on the wordpress site. That is if that is what you meant.

I haven't had any problems with double-logins but I will delete my cookies and take a look.

Nick

The current banner is custom. I made that image playing with photoshop brushes. I did the menu buttons too. Though they were kinda adapted from another theme and changed a little to match other stuff.

zourtney

Sweet. I do like it. Maybe it was the old Drupal banner you were talking about which was a default one. The current one is fittingly cool.