• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 04:44 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Taxonomy and Permalinks

Started by zourtney, Sep 10, 2009, 08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

That makes it sound futuristic :) But I see what your doing.
I know its all about the google rankings. No one browses sites, they find them on ta google.

Brad

Sep 28, 2009, 09:22 AM #16 Last Edit: Sep 28, 2009, 09:25 AM by Brad
Actually I think they do site maps in XML now and submit them to Google so their robot can better crawl your website.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156184

zourtney

Which brings us back to a design suggestion -- adding a search bar to the site. The default one seemed to perform poorly. It's also ugly. Most importantly, though: it's missing.

zourtney

I'm not sureif I mentioned this before or not, but I have started making my personal blog posts with date-conscious URL aliases.
eg: randomland.net/zourtney/2009/10/whatever
I have done this to reduce name collisions. Plus anything dumb I write in there is likely to be more date/event related. I see no reason to do this elsewhere on the site. For example motors/francine is pretty freakin' timeless and spans several years.

Now you know. You are not obliged to care or comply.

zourtney

As Nick mentioned on another topic, we should flesh out our taxonomy a bit more. It is my opinion that the breadcrumbs, URLs, and taxonomy should all match. They are one in the same, in my mind.

So, I have been setting up URLs as such, nut have been slacking on makin the taxonomy match:
Motors
    Francine
    Tempo
    Blazer
Rec
    Camping
Tech
    Creating a Drupal Module book (needs sub-category?)
Opinion (flat currently, I do believe)
Reviews
    (one for each section: motors, rec, tech, opinion)

There's probably more I'm missing. Like the blog sections.

Nick

Maybe

• Tech

• Programming/Scripting

• RL drupal writeup

Brad

Where would an article on Boba Fett costume construction go?

Nick

Under

• Rec

• Projects

And then either go one level farther and add a costumes or sometihng below projects. Or just put that into the free-tagging box when the article is posted. Though there will probably be more costume write ups so a costumes sub-term would be ok. Its better to have to many terms then to have everything lost into the free-tagging box (not that they are really lost, just less useful for site organization)

zourtney

Oct 22, 2009, 08:26 AM #23 Last Edit: Oct 22, 2009, 08:28 AM by zourtney
I might recommend against a "projects" term. It's kind of vague. What would you gain from having it Home > Rec > Projects > Costumes rather than a simpler Home > Rec > Customes. Anything can become a "project"...!

The same thing goes for the forum boards. I just couldn't think of anything better.

Brad

I also vote for the lack of a 'Projects' category.

zourtney

A suggestion for the image taxonomy:
Create a term for whether or not the image should be displayed in the "random images" box. Some things are a little too boring to see as a random image, in my opinion. Things like my Drupal admin page screenshots. Boooring.

Nick

I had that same thought and was thinking bout how to do that. Simplest way would be to just add a check box.

zourtney

I was going to set up some URL aliases for user image galleries.

What do you think:
/gallery/[user]
or...
/[user]/gallery
?

Nick

I don't know. I like the idea but I cant decide what makes more sense. I guess /galleries/user.

zourtney

Yeah...we're not really a user-oriented site, so gallery/[user] makes a little more sense. That's how I started doing them, when I wasn't thinking.

Technically, you could do anything you want and they don't need to match. But I like consistency. As of now, mine is randomland.net/gallery/zourtney.