• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 30, 2024, 06:19 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Randomland bugs and errors.

Started by Nick, Sep 17, 2009, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

How are the D7 image modules these days? I've been using the Wordpress media lately stuff and find it adequate. The GUI is alright and it has tagging capabilities...search would need some work, but it's not like we've been utilizing image stuff (or really anything but the forums!) lately.But, that's all moot if we want to stick with the Druplars.

zourtney

We are getting a lot of spam accounts signing up for Randomland-proper lately. Any suggestions on how to curb the madness?

Nick

Either turn off signups, update to new capcha stuff or just ignore them. With the new capcha stuff I think tha puts us pack in the D7 topic.

zourtney

Which reminds me of my initiative to catalog (and unpublish) all lost content, as displayed by the internet wayback machine(s).

I don't really know what to do about our content management system. Drupal 6 is gross, but running. 7's good, but lacking features. WordPress is de-facto and mostly incompatible -- we'd be manually recreating articles yet again.

I guess the real question is: what do we want to do with Randomland in the long run? Dedicate it to outdoorsy woodsmanfun and craft projects? Despite its name, it could use a little direction :)

Nick

Jun 08, 2012, 10:19 AM #139 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2012, 10:25 AM by Nick
We could reduce it to a few blogs (I still don't like that word :/) and the forum. That seem to be what gets used the most, and the blogs should be the easiest to move over to a 7 install. We could either forsake the image system or use a decent 3rd party system for keeping everything or finish it. There might even be more options available now for images.

The old articles could be relegated to a 'archives' blog.

Beyond that I don't know. With some good tagging on all the articles organisation should come about on its own.

Edit: This might work for images. http://drupal.org/node/1224916

zourtney

We could always dredge up the idea of having a separate image server. We could do a simple Tomcat/standalone system, yada, yada....but we aren't really doing anything with images these days, so nevermind that, for now. We aren't really doing anything with text content, either, for that matter.

Therefore, hitherto and henceforth, we must do stuff! I realize punking out of town makes this a little inconvenient. But we can, and should, slap up our individual adventures. There are some probably-cool marshland parks down here. Some are right in town, complete with boardwalks, mud, and tons of trees. And there are state parks, which are bound to have camping/hiking adventures at-the-ready (minus anything resembling a hill, or elevation change of more than about 20ft :().

Anyway. None of this belongs in this thread. But it's still true.

zourtney

May 13, 2013, 08:28 PM #141 Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:57 AM by zourtney
So.... I may have kinda killed all the thumbnail images on Randomland. Ever.

I uploaded a few pictures (for an awesome upcoming feature story...peek if you want), but no "ImageCache" previews were being creating. Thinking I was troubleshooting, I clicked the "flush" button on the ImageCache settings. I'm hoping they're rebuilding...but I'm not holding my breath.

Any idea how to track this down?

Edit: we might try updating the module to the latest, 6.x-2.0-rc1 (see bug report)

Nick

Ok :-) I will look into it today. And on a similar note,  I think the new drupal might be mature enough to move into. Or move the image stuff into.

zourtney

Yeah, using the main site was really painful. Especially with all the spam crap-user related stuff I started to delete. What a pain!

zourtney

Sooooo....all the thumbnails on the main site still seem to be broken :( And I definitely don't know how to fix it.

Would it be worth it to stand up some separate image server? (either homegrown or some existing software)

Nick

Definitely. Maybe a separate drupal install for managing it all or a dedicated image server.

zourtney

Jun 15, 2013, 01:18 PM #146 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2013, 01:21 PM by zourtney
This little idea isn't bad. Just a PHP server making and serving static files. If I get some inspiration, I'll try out something like that.

...I've actually been making prototype of something similar using NodeJS (it returns a JSON-formatted directory listing of images). Maybe I'll merge those ideas.