• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 05:16 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Site Visibility and SEO

Started by Nick, Oct 20, 2009, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I have no idea what your talking about :) I don't speak Korean either, ummm sure put the content back! And what page was that?

zourtney

I don't know. It was some page about how to do some simple theming thing in WordPress. The links coming in were from the WordPress forum and someone made the comment, "she might as well have been speaking Korean." Apparently, I was not very clear. I'm good at that, but usually use a lot of words to do it.

Nick

Nick

#    Hits                    Search String
1    6    8.22%    how to make a toy lightsaber
2    4    5.48%    wooden lightsaber
3    3    4.11%    harbor freight magnesium fire starter review
4    3    4.11%    randomland
5    2    2.74%    foam lightsaber
6    2    2.74%    how to make a small toy lightsaber
7    2    2.74%    how to make toy lightsaber
8    2    2.74%    lightsaber wooden stick
9    2    2.74%    magnesium fire starter review
10    2    2.74%    random land
11    2    2.74%    randomland drupal filter
12    2    2.74%    randomland forum
13    2    2.74%    removable parts of a toy lightsaber
14    1    1.37%    2000 nissan maxima
15    1    1.37%    @words.txt
16    1    1.37%    beater car
17    1    1.37%    break a lightsaber
18    1    1.37%    build a toy lightsaber
19    1    1.37%    coast606
20    1    1.37%    crap truck

Last months top search strings for those interested :)

zourtney

Interesting, but I half wonder how many of those were my fault. With hits in the single digits, it's kind of hard to tell what's going on :(

Nick

Thin months might be more enlightening. Just use the magic number:812 to access randomland and you can see for yourself.

Nick

Google seems to be indexing test.randomland.net. How did it even find it?! I guess I will have to robots it out.

zourtney

Yeah, we shouldn't let it index that. That's a no-no.

zourtney

Does anyone have any tip on making google return a useful descriptive text when you search for 'randomland?' It always gves a useless snippet from old front page posts...months-old usually. 

Nick

zourtney

Also, is the forum in the robots.txt file or something? According to google, it does not exist.

Nick

If you search randomland.net/forums you get one result that points to the forums. Perhaps they need included in the sitemap, or add forums.randomland.net to the google webmaster thing.

zourtney

Dec 15, 2009, 09:34 AM #27 Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009, 09:36 AM by zourtney
In addition to the fact that a search for 'randomland forum' turn up nothing of use, I have come across another visibility annoyance.

I was curious if my Bike Tree article was anywhere to be found on the Googlenets. Well, it is not. Not even close -- search link. It seems that our image, file, and blog nodes are getting precedence over legitimate text article nodes. I found the actual article nowhere! It should be at http://randomland.net/rec/bike-tree. What the dealy, yo?

I was going to look and see if the cron job is still running regularly, but I forget where that is.

Nick

Cron is still running. The XML sitemap (for google to use) was broken somehow. It had only two entries. I am trying to fix it but I don't have much time (going to go put insulation in my grandmas garage.)

Nick

I guess the sitemap is fine. It just got automatically split into two files (I am guessing do to size.)