• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 01:16 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Bumper Buddy

Started by zourtney, May 31, 2008, 12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Ok, here's the question: does the bumper buddy need a kickstand?

(Or, some legs to hold it up when it's not attached to the trailer hitch?)

Nick

Making it like a spiky table? Howabout just some pieces on the corners or some place on the bottom to make it sit flat rather than rocking on the bar. Oh....but then there is the elbow where we raised it up..... ok... two fold down feet on the back end up it that come down to the same height as the 'elbow-bar' on the front. It will sit low but might be stable enough to set a board on the top. We could also make it a hinged/removable lid so it would be like a 60lb table!

zourtney

Sounds good. Do you want fold-down legs instead of something that would side up and down?

Nick

Kinda likes this I thinks. Having the bar in the back might let you have only two feet up front, and still be stable. Dunno.

http://gallery.randomland.net/main.php?g2_itemId=532&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

zourtney

Yeah, four legs might be overkill, but it's hard to say without building it first  ;) I wouldn't go jumping around on it if it only had two legs, but I think it'd be fine when the weight is evenly distributed.

I was thinking we might be able to do something where the legs could slip into the existing rails that we welded on there.

Nick

Like this?
http://gallery.randomland.net/main.php?g2_itemId=652

With the holes in the welded-on post to secure the foot-post (aka leg) inside while bumping about. And the brackets next to the welded-on post for bolting on the foot-leg-unit-dude.

zourtney

The Bumper Buddy now has lights! We re-wired the back end of the Blazer last weekend. I'll put pictures up....so that the people that were there and saw the whole thing can re-live the excitement? We need to other people on this here Randomland. But yeah, it works. Now we need to take it out in public!

Nick

I think I would like to see more than 'to' other people poking around here :)

zourtney

We should uppost some Bumper Buddy pictures.

Nick

Without a doubt. And a build detail for all those out there who might want to strap 60+ pounds to their truck-butt.

zourtney

We sould do that -- post some simple plans for a bumper buddy design. I'm going to get off my yesterpics and put them on here. The whole world must know of the Bumper Buddy!

...Well, at least the whole world with Internet access should have the ability to stumble upon dumb stuff I wrote by entering in an unreasonably specific search query and clicking a series of hyperlinks...

zourtney

Not that it's of any interest to anyone, but I upposted a little ditty about what we did to the bumper buddy on Monday. As most know, the bumper buddy had an unfortunate run-in with a backhoe. But thanks to our excessive over-engineering, only two of the vertical metal members were bent -- the frame is perfectly in tact!

On Monday, Nick, Cody, and I hacked off the bent metal posts. Nick welded a few potential weak spots on the other vertical members.

You can view a few pictures in the gallery, here.
View the official Randomland post here.

Nick

Brad

Yay for excessive over-engineering!

zourtney

We should take the bumper buddy on a trip. Camping time?