• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Apr 28, 2024, 03:51 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Looking for a CAD/Modeling Program

Started by zourtney, Oct 29, 2009, 10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Oct 29, 2009, 10:22 AM Last Edit: Nov 16, 2009, 03:18 PM by zourtney
For years, I have been on the lookout for a (legally) free replacement for AutoCAD. I am by no means at creating technical drawings; but when you need it, you need it. So far I have found nothing comparable to AutoCAD.

Similarly, I occasionally want to hack up a 3D model of something (see Bumper Buddy, Suriboka, and Bike Tree projects). A casual search this morning brought me across blender.org. It seems to be on par with Lightwave (which I only used once or twice). It seems it will be impossible to do anything productive without reading up, though. Maybe I'll try that out in my free time.

I have used Rhino 3D before. It is a good program, but I am still looking around.

What programs have you used? 2D or 3D; free, cheap, or expensive.

Nick

Might give this a try: http://www.cad-schroer.com/index.php?&ziel=Products-MEDUSA-M4Personal&land=com&scr=1.9

It says it has basic 3D. I put in for a free license (they wanted my mac address so I guess its tired to that) and will test it a little.
I always liked Rhino I bet you could pick up a copy that's a year or two old fairly cheap.

Nick

Never mind. Its much harder then it used to be to get old software. I once got a year old (at the time) version or corel photopaint for $12. The new verion of that is priced like photoshop. Anyway. You can always get the student/non-business version for $200 :)

zourtney

Cool, let me know how you like it when you get the chance to try it out.

zourtney

I fell back into using Rhino for the time being (see the Bike Tree thread). I don't know how to use it very well (e.g why doesn't object snapping work?!?), but it's better than learning something brand new.

I am no 3D artist. I'm no artist at all.

zourtney

Nov 15, 2009, 10:33 AM #5 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2009, 10:42 AM by zourtney
I just stumbled across a forum post referencing Google's SketchUp. I remember hearing about it a while ago. There doesn't seem to be a Linux version, but whatever. I can't get Rhino to run in Linux either. Maybe I'll give this a shot.

A few videos here: http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos/new_to_gsu.html#

@Nick: did you ever try out that MEDUSA program?

Nick

Sorry, I am slow. I have it downloaded and a license now but still haven't used it. I should have tried it when I was making the log house.

Nick

Google has done it again. Thrusting its all data-hungry tentacle into yet another seeming unrelated field of software. Up for offer is Google sketchup. A 3d modeling program from the contextual advertising giant. It looks at little cartoony, but I am sure you can add your own textures. I will report back when I have played with it enough to form an opinion.

Edit:
Oh yeah, a link! http://sketchup.google.com/

zourtney

I know...the sprawling reach of Google's software offerings is getting ridiculous. They create more and more products that think they have no business being in. Somehow though, they're pretty decent programs...and free is hard to argue with. But it's hard to see Google as anything more than just another monolithic software company, akin to Microsoft and Apple and destined to the bashings that come along with international corporatism.

Ok, I'm done (and still haven't tried the program).

Nick

They keep buying companies with a working product, googlizing the UI and making it free. Plus there is a pro version for monies. But that's probably just the free one but for commercial use.

zourtney

Yep, it's the thing to do (Microsoft does it unabashedly). It has its good points and bad points, I suppose.

Nick

Nov 16, 2009, 02:11 PM #11 Last Edit: Nov 16, 2009, 02:17 PM by Nick
AAAAAA!!!!! After having used autocad it will drive you mad. There is no similarity between key commands (something that I think companies should do, there is no shame in making things easy to move to and from) and the controls are overly simple. Meaning you can do things easy, but going complex things gets frustrating because there is no readily evident way to do anything else (like trying to make a cylinder rather then just a circle, or a box rather then just a square. )

Update.
Ok I am slightly too hasty in saying that. There is the push/pull tool which I am used to being called extrude, that will make cylinders from circles and so on. 
Terminology is another ok thing to duplicate from another companies software, its more associated with the profession then the program. Then engineers can talk to each other even if they use different software. Get standardized people.

zourtney

Are we talking about Google's "SketchIt"?

Nick

Yes, googly sketchers. I just now got the Medusa place to email me the license file, you have to reply to an email that you get to get the license. Seems silly needing to do that considering that I gave them my mac address to tie into the license file.

On  a related note, I just downloaded a free copy of autocad. Legally. From the autodesks student site: students5.autodesk.com . Being life long learners that we are, is there ever a time when you're not a student? Used my PSU email and they gave me a 13 month license. Now I can keep learning how to use autocad for incorporating models into web design. I am sure there is a better way to do that (like having actual artistic talent) But its hard to beat autocad when you want to draw a building.

Brad

PSU just closed down my e-mail account and server access last month. I haven't taken a class there for about 2 years.