• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 12:20 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

I just watched...

Started by zourtney, Nov 12, 2009, 08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

And there is no annoying cliffhanger at the end of a season that you will end up waiting 4 months to see a conclusion to :) (Think Lost)

zourtney

That's one thing Heroes didn't do. It was simultaneously disappointing and refreshing.

zourtney

I watched The Road (2009). I hadn't ever even heard of it. I liked it; probably because I hold dear post-apocalyptic settings. But much more so because it's a story about humanity, which is what makes stories worth telling. And it seemed very well acted, to me.

Nick

I remember hearing a few good things about that movie. I think they criticized the end of it as being too idealistic for the setting. That is if its the movie  I am thinking of. And I haven't seen it so I can't yet cast any judgment. Sounds interesting though. 

zourtney

I watched a movie called 12 rounds. It was probably not an awesome movie, but I've seen worse, and lots of stuff blew up. I suppose that was its strong point.

zourtney

Remember that ancient movie "Roots" with (bu-dun-Dun) Levar Burton? Yeah...Eve and I watched the first disc of that last night. It's been sitting in its Netflix sleeve for at least 3 months. "lolz"

zourtney

Brad

Nick

zourtney

And I'm now compelled to hook a subwoofer up with an input signal of a computer's HDD access light :) 

Nick

I think that might be to low a frequency. But try it anyway!

zourtney

Haha, well yeah. Well, it'd need a little bit of logic in it. Though not nearly as cool as a little circuit board with knobs and dials pumping out the beets and boops to an adjacent 12" subwoofer, a pure software implementation would be pretty easy. If I could find some disk monitoring APIs, I could bust out some MIDI bass through the sound card with relative ease.

Either way, my computer needs that low frequency, whirring, purring, continually-contemplating-end-of-the-world-scenarios. OH@! How did I forget?! I need those HUGE square lights surrounding the case as well.

Oh how I (occasionally) wish that I could make embedded systems! So many (nearly idiotic dreams) would come true (and I've have junk laying around everywhere).

Nick

Aug 12, 2010, 09:41 PM #57 Last Edit: Aug 12, 2010, 10:01 PM by Nick
I can show you what little I learned about the embedded funness. But with smart phones driving down that kind of tech everything is going to have embedded versions of full linux kernels. Not that linux isn't everywhere already. But faster better linux.

And I think the beeps and boops from those old (and strangely cool) computers were the stepper motors moving tape reals around or something like that. :)

A few minuets on youtube and I remember better of what you are talking about. Those sounds were definitely not from motors.

zourtney

I'm always interested in expanding my hardware/software experience. Let me know when you have time. It'd be cool to see. I responded in the other thread here.

Brad

I saw Toy Story 3 the other day. Good Pixar quality movie. However it made me think... if you lived in a pixar/disney world you constantly be hurting or killing things around you. If toys, cars bugs and animals have lives, dreams, worries, problems, friends and family how can you continue to use them as tools or food? Every time you replace a broken toy or buy a new car you're abandoning a friend who has cared for you, works hard for you and even loves you. You are just throwing them away!

And what do you eat? All the animals are sentient creatures with near human intelligence. Even the bugs on the ground. Swat a fly and you probably just killed somebodies husband, brother, or friend. Plants are likely to break out into song on a sunny day. Decent people would starve in a world like this.