• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 06:56 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

I wrote a GIMP script

Started by zourtney, Feb 23, 2010, 08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Today, I wrote a GIMP script. It simply took a directory of PNG files and saved them to a more compresed format (indexed instead RGB or something). It took me a while to figure out how to do stuff because it's not the hottest topic on the internets. But with a few good examples, some LISP background (oh yes indeed), and a few hours of learning, I got it figured out.

There are a lot of bad things one could say about the GIMP (including its name). But the scripting can be ridiculously powerful. You could author an entire image from script...if you actually wanted to. Any schmoe (ie me) can pick it off a interbranch and start writing automated image manipulation routines without spending a penny. I know Photoshop has some very cool macros it can do, too...but how much does it cost again? With this, I didn't even have to bother someone to find a copy of Photoshop for me (plus the requested settings were tested in GIMP).

Nick

Dude! You program with a lisp? I couldn't even tell.

I like the idea of gimp, but not so much the implementation. Mostly its the UI that bothers me. But easy scripting is a big bonus. I have a photog magazine around here somewhere that tries to detail how one could use gimp as a post processor. Perhaps I will give it another read. But still... I already (kinda) know how to use photoshop.

Though, as it is free, I always have it installed on any computer I work ok. I cant go around installing photoshop everywhere after all. Plus there is a plug in that makes it look more like photoshop, so I can actually find things. Defiantly worth taking a look at I guess. Not that I am likely to do much scripting on it. I have enough other things to program already. Now to get around to logo making....