• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Sep 21, 2024, 09:50 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Mans! The Forums Is the Dead!

Started by zourtney, Jul 22, 2008, 10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Perhaps on the great day of sun?

zourtney

Sep 23, 2010, 10:26 PM #361 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2010, 10:28 PM by zourtney
Or the preceding (day of sitting?)

EDIT: actually, I'm pretty sure the Sat in Saturday is more closely related to the word sabbath, as that is the traditional Jewish day of rest. I could ask Webster, but I'm lazy and it's bed time. Plus, I mean, "el sábado," yeah?

zourtney

zourtney

Someone's got to say it: man, this forum is dead...

Nick

I get my camera back on the 'after the 6th!!!' Or I guess they are shipping it back to me on the 6th. I might not have it on the 10th :(

zourtney

That would be a bummer...but no camera is better than no camera, if you know what I mean.

Brad

How does it compare to gnome camera?

zourtney

Absolutely! I think we can summarize as follows:

• No camera = Know camera = Gnome camera. This is a proven fact. See Roper, Cheeses for original work on this theory.
  • Having no camera now is better than never having any camera (ie: no camera is better than no camera)
  • It is better to have a camera, any camera, than it is to have no camera (ie: no camera is better than no camera)
  • Important note: not knowing how to use your camera when you need it is only slightly better than having no camera at all.

Now, take this list and abstract it. I've highlighted our key term for you, so it'll be easier. This generic drivel can apply to anything you view in a positive light. Voter rights, can openers, tripods, sidearms*, arms**, love, automobiles, pants**, cargo tie-downs, the Revolutionary War of these United States of America*, Mexican food**, angle grinders...you name it.

* debatably
** almost indisputably

zourtney

I see these here random nets are back up. Usually when I say, "this forum is dead," it's not quite that dead. Was it a DNS issue?

Nick

It was. The DDClient program had stopped updating the IP. I guess it needed a software update to be compatible with the servers again or something. Not sure really. But it works now.

zourtney

Cool, because I think I'm addicted.

Nick

Yay! I got my camera back! From the looks of it they sent me a brand new one. All the scuffs, scratches and wear marks that I had grown used to are gone. In their place is a sleek, shiny surface of a new camera. It has the same serial number sticker, but it was crooked and had marks from being pulled off of the old camera.

While I will miss all the memories I had with the old camera I am glad to have one with all new parts. Perhaps I will get many more years out of it as opposed to a repaired/refurbished one.  Not that it makes much sense to attribute any emotional attachment to a mechanical device. Even if you had carried everywhere with you for a good long time.

So I am back in the pocket-camera scene.

Now camping must commence! As soon as the weather looks a little better anyway.

zourtney

Cool. Pocket cameras are requisite! Somewhat sadly, today's weather is looking quite nice. I'm not too sad we missed camping last weekend. The weather was pretty miserable where I was. And I at least stepped in a store with tents (though I did not look at them)

Nick

Mans the forums are slow todays.

It rained all weekend. So we would have been soaked the whole weekend. It's only a little sad that the arbitrary symmetry of the date got wasted, but that's life.

zourtney

Oct 11, 2010, 07:31 PM #374 Last Edit: Oct 11, 2010, 07:35 PM by zourtney
So true. I heard random people mention the date several times though. And Eve said, "Hey look, it's 10:10 10-10-'10" as we sat in church Sunday morning. So awesome, but only in a manmade, numerically arbitrary way.

Oh, does anyone have any crappy old webcams they're not using? VGA resolution is plenty fine enough. It's just for a stupid programming experiment.