• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

Sep 22, 2024, 06:36 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Mans! The Forums Is the Dead!

Started by zourtney, Jul 22, 2008, 10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

I usually feel like a complete moron when programming. Like how it routinely takes me 8 hours to write 2 lines of productive code? Yeah...

Nick

It makes me feel less bad when I hear things like that.  That perhaps my slowness is less me sucking and more the norm.

Brad

Last Friday though... I actually thought I was pretty good. I reproduced the essential functionality of $50 (a year) program in 36 lines of code. Including whitespace and comments.

If you ever need a viewer application for Crystal Reports... don't buy one, it's really easy to make one.

zourtney

What did you write it in? Just out of curiousity

Brad

zourtney

(eww)--;

At least it's not VB6...or older. Because that'd be disgusting.

Brad

I would have done it in C# .NET or C++ .NET but nobody else at the city knows those languages.

zourtney

Well, managed C++ should be avoided asmuch as possible...unless you like headaches. (It's kinda like digging through a scrapyard to build yourself a new car...)

But C# was pretty cool last time I tried it. I've since done a little Java programming and realized that C# is almost a direct copy of it. Syntactically and architecturally.

Since I have my work's Mac to "play" with, I'm trying to learn a little Objective-C in my "free time". I haven't even made it through "Hello World" :P

zourtney

Nick

zourtney

Legend has it that a "pootermobile" is a toy car which has been lit on fire, then played with. I think we should make a life-size replica :)

Nick

I like wherever you are getting these legends.

Environmental concerns aside, getting, burning (likely rendering inoperable ) and then playing with a car sounds like quite an undertaking.

How about just a life-sized car to play with? You can probably make it look burnt pretty easily :)

zourtney

Yeah, it's really not a good idea. Burning cars is a horrible idea (reserved for environmental extremists...?)

Yes, I would much rather just take a crap truck up in the woods, park it, then go on a long hike. Let's do that instead!

Nick

OK! Hike-hike!!!

Speaking of hiking, REI has a %20 off  coupon for their outlet store today.

Making a 63L backpack ~$50 (it was $44 earlier in the week  >:( )
http://www.rei.com/product/814088 I might get it.....

zourtney

Yeah, I often think about getting one of those. I don't know if I'd use it often enough to justify the price. But when you need a good pack, you need a good pack.