• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 25, 2024, 02:49 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Desk Refinishing

Started by Cody, Feb 26, 2010, 10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody

So yeah, my lovely cheap corner desk for my computer looked really crappy....I admit it. It was particle board and just painted on top with some lame pattern. Over the years that coat of paint had rubbed off and yeah, if you've seen it you remember how bad it was. So anyway, the other day I got this brilliant idea! put Formica on top! Yeah! I went down to the local redneck flooring store and found a remnant piece that was black  with a nice white speckle pattern. Somehow I managed to get it all cut, glued, and got my desk reassembled in one day. It looks great too! If anyone cares enough I could probably write a short page about it or something. Great learning experience and everything. Now I know how to lay laminate.
"Stop whining. Before you really get me irritated."
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Flooring on your desk? Yes I would be interested is reading how all that went. Pictures too! Before and after perhaps? Another good example of reappropriating things for new uses!

Cody

Laminate is actually a common indoor/outdoor countertop as well as flooring. Given this durable quality I figured it would be a good choice. Hopefully it holds up as well as I would like it to.
   --Boba Fett

zourtney

Yeah, post it up! That'd be interesting. And I'd like to see some pictures too.

Nick

I never know. I just thought it was for flooring and veneer was for furniture.   But cool, cool either way.

Cody

Your image thing is still broken or I just have no idea how to do it. Whenever I try it still gives me the error 500 and that it failed. That is making it rather difficult to write the article sadly.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Feb 27, 2010, 10:53 AM #6 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:00 AM by Nick
You should have said something last time :) Try again. If it still don't work I will have to do some messing around. I have never seen it give a 500 error. You have all the same permissions as the rest of us so it should work. Make sure you have java script enabled.  

Edit:
  The PHP max upload limit was set to 2mb again. I'm not sure how this keeps happening.. Seems like every other month I need to change it again. Perhaps that just how often I mess up php. Anyway, you can upload files as big as 16M now. Trying to upload anything over 2M before would have generated an error. Though, you don't really need a 2meg file up on a web site. The system will not aromatically resize or  compress images. It just makes smaller versions for displaying. If I had a faster machine I could have it make the smaller images in real time to save hard disk space. But I don't. And now I am rambling. 

Cody

Still doesn't work but I went ahead with the writing of the article uploading the pictures as CCK Images. No idea what that means exactly but it actually works. Once I can do them the other way I imagine I will erase those images and do it properly since it seems to resize them smaller than the originals.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Feb 28, 2010, 10:34 AM #8 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2010, 11:04 AM by Nick
How was it that you were trying to upload the images? You have to create a new image node, not a cck image.... Otherwise they wont work with the gallery.  And those mess up the front page...

Ok. I have found the problem. Something in firefox 3.6 is causing an error with the upload utility. Just use an older version of firefox, or use opera, safari, chrome or IE instead for uploading your images. Sorry about all the frustration. Hopefully there will be a real fix for the bug soon. Development on that module seems lively. They keep saying there will be native EXIF support in it soon (we have exif data already using other modules.)

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled desk.

Cody

I went to create new content then clicked on image. The same way I have done it before except now it gives me that error. And I won't publish the page until it can be done right if it's a problem.
   --Boba Fett

Nick

See my edit above...

I fixed the images you uploaded to get them off the front page. I wouldn't mind a section on the front for recent image uploads.... but the cck image nodes also display the users ENTIRE gallery below each one.... making it all rather unwieldy. Go ahead and try again using some other browser. I tried it with IE and it works. I was also able to get the same error using firefox 3.6. 

Cody

The page has been created but for the life of me it gives me stupid extra text crap all over that I don't know how to get rid of...looked nice in the creator thing. Anyway here is the link. Feel free to fix it or tell me why it is doing that so I can.

http://randomland.net/node/1294
   --Boba Fett

Nick

I fixed the errors. You have to select php code on the input format options otherwise all the extra theme info sticks out in strange places. I don't know why this is.

Cody

Yep, thanks. Court came over and helped me with some stuff too. The page has been remade in a more proper way now. I think that should about do it!  ;)
   --Boba Fett

Nick

Nice. I was going to suggest using Courtney's image mod thing. It looks good, the desk and the article!