• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 08:27 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Dwarf Fortress - Splatteredcity

Started by Brad, Jul 30, 2010, 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

After my previous fortress fell into depravity and despair and ultimate ruin after the attack of Sod the giant one-eyed nuthatch I've now started a new fortress named "Isakineth" or in english Splatteredcity. The fortress is carved out of a highside in the untamed wilderness. There is a river nearby and herds of elephants and groups of tigerman are often seen.

For fun I've decided to name a dwarf after a bunch people that I know. I'll keep you up to date on the status of each dwarf and let you know if the dwarven version of you is killed, maimed, etc...

The dwarves I've named so far are:

Nick - legendary miner, adequate mason and novice building designer.
Courtney - proficient wood cutter, adequate axedwarf, novice mechanic and novice ambusher.
Tyler - competent fisherdwarf, novice fish dissector and novice fish cleaner.
Steve - legendary carpenter and adept woodcutter.
Cody - accomplished cheese maker and expert miner.

The first three levels of the fortress are mostly completed with the first level housing the barracks, kennel and trade depot. The second level contains all the storage as well as the workshops. The third level is still under construction but will contain the living quarters and dining room. It also contains a large room which I've filled with water in order to create mud to farm with.

So far everything has been pretty uneventful, the only nearly dangerous thing was an elephant frightening my plant gatherers.

zourtney

My original thoughts:
QuoteOk, so obviously this is a game of some sort, but.....um, where is this all playing out?...

My thoughts after visiting http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
QuoteOh wow.

Nonetheless, let me know if I'm dead. Until then, I'll be proficiently cutting wood.

Brad

Well I'm not actually playing the ascii version... so it looks more like this.

zourtney

Oh, ok. Well that's a little easier on the eyeballs. I've got to admit, though, it doesn't have quite the same "retro" feel.

Nick

Haha. I like the idea. Keep us posted! And try not to kill me in to uneventful a manner. Please?

Brad

Aug 02, 2010, 11:19 PM #5 Last Edit: Aug 02, 2010, 11:26 PM by Brad
There have been a several of accidental deaths in Splatteredcity. A farmer was drowned after trapping himself in an aqueduct while placing a floodgate. A mason was crushed to death and Tyler's cat was mortally wounded when the roof of the statue garden collapsed while roofers were attempting to remove the roof. Also another miner drowned, apparently by suicide.

We've also had a huge influx of immigrants and several births so we are now up to 92 dwarfs, the highest number I've ever reached. The miners and craftsdwarfs are busy creating rooms, beds and doors for all the new immigrants.

I've also attached a rendering of the dormitory level, you can see the huge number of lazy slacking dwarfs having a party in the dining room, as well as the huge number of individual dwarf bedrooms. In the upper right corner you can see that bedrooms there are still under construction.

Ah! Nick feel down a hole while trying dig a channel! He has broken both arms and legs, as well as fractured his hips. He is currently in critical condition but I think he is going to make it. The doctors have sutured up all his wounds and set the bones. They've requested a traction table for treatment, so I've begun constructing one. Hopefully after some rest and recuperation Nick will be back to full health.

EDIT: Nick has grabbed some crutches and gone right back to smoothing the stone walls of the captain of the guard's dining room despite still having fractured hips and a broken left arm which has not been put in a splint yet. I've told him that he is not to return to work until he can at least use both arms again.

Nick

Wow. Usually I would use a broken arms, hips and legs as an excuse to just lay around. How industrious of me!

Brad

An election was held today and Cody was elected as Mayor. He immediately mandated the construction of giant serrated discs.

Brad

The fortress repelled it's first attack by a forgotten beast. It busted through the lower defenses and slayed three dwarves (two of them came to retrieve the first dwarf's possesions) before he was defeated by my militia and an army of war dogs leaving the lower stairwells covered in blood and vomit.

zourtney

Ok, I'm still a novice, but let me try it:

Quotedid he died?!

Or, more explicitly: what is the state of the characters in your game? Or have you not played it? I would really appreciate knowing if I am dead. Also, if I have advanced beyond mere competency in my trade, that'd be cool.

Brad

Nobody you know has died, mostly cause I haven't been playing that much lately.

Here is everyone's current status.

Courtney: Now a militia captain and an adept marksdwarf, currently training at the archery range and preparing for the next forgotten beast attack.
Nick: The legendary miner is excavating in the cavern levels searching for magma.
Cody: The currently elected mayor. He just threw a craftsdwarf in jail for not creating his mandated jabber tooth crafts.
Tyler: Still fishing.

zourtney

Awesome. I particularly like the part about being an adept marksdwarf.

That, and "still fishing" is somehow humorous. :)

Brad

I'm sorry Courtney but you've been grievously wounded. I'm not certain whether you will survive. Both of your legs are broken, and there is some damage to your internal organs. A new forgotten beast bypassed all the the traps and made it onto the main stairwell and into the main fortress. You along with your fellow militia members fought valiantly and eventually defeated it with only a few causalities.

Because the fight was fought almost entirely on the staircase you chose to bash the beast with crossbow rather than shooting at it. Unfortunately this dealt only glancing blows to the beast which is mostly the reason you were so grievously injured.

And the beast which caused all the damage...

zourtney

It's not easy commanding a militia. I hope I don't die.

Brad

Aug 21, 2010, 02:41 PM #14 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 02:44 PM by Brad
The dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness...

It is the end of Splatteredcity. In our greed for adamantine we dug deep into the depths of the earth. Deep, deep in the earth we broke into a strange and frightening cavern. Moments after the pick broke through hideous screams were heard from within the pits.

A stream of all manner of ancient and terrible horrors burst forth from the opening. The hapless miner fled back up the staircase but soon caught and devoured. The ancient terrors continued their way up from the depths killing several pets, herbalists collecting cavern plants and clothiers collecting spider silk.

The militia was marshalled and stationed at the entrance to the lower stairwell, preparing to face the oncoming horde. Though the odds were greatly against them they fought valiantly and with all their might.

The recently recovered expert marksdwarf Courtney emptied his entire quiver on a brine monster and a steam haunt. Though he was completely out of ammo and his crossbow broken, he attacked the horrors with his fists. Tearing off pieces of the brine monster he continued to fight even while heavily injured. Despite his heroic efforts he was eventually felled by a blast of steam and finished by a blow to the head. After the fall of their captain the rest of the militia continued to fight the losing battle but one by one they each fell to the ravaging horde.

With the militia gone the evil poured into the main fortress levels destroying all barriers and slaughtering everything in their path. Nick, Steve and Tyler were killed almost immediately completely surrounded by the enemy. The mayor, Cody, held an emergency meeting with the remaining leaders of Splatteredcity. They barred the doors to the meeting hall, but the horde could not be stopped. Zugobastan Alakmidil Zulban the legendary white fiend destroyed the doors and killed the last of the leaders of Splatteredcity. The Mayor tried to flee but was struck down just feet outside the ruined doors.

As the monsters reach the surface the dwarven trade caravan flees taking the dire news of doomed fortress' fate back to the dwarven kingdom.

The walls of the Splatteredcity are coated with blood and gore. Nearly the dwarves are dead, only one remains. Rigoth the stonecrafter. She attempts to fly the fortress, leaving with the caravan and it's guards. Her leg is wounded so she is struggling to catch up. She stops to take a drink of water from the brook... a devil of shadow appears behind her. The final dwarf falls.

Splatteredcity is finished.