• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 02:30 AM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

We need to go riding

Started by Nick, Sep 17, 2009, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

Hmmm, apparently I didn't ride quite hard enough. Riding bikes and learning programming technologies? Apples and oranges; but the bike ride was a good use of an evening.

zourtney

Jun 25, 2010, 08:22 AM #46 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010, 08:23 AM by zourtney
Our latest, more hilly ride -- map

Nick

Jun 25, 2010, 08:26 AM #47 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010, 08:40 AM by Nick
That's quite a trip. I wonder how the trips we used to take around my place compare.

We should go again sometime soon. Brad was saying he would probably be up for it this sometime weekend.

Here is the path we used to take every now and then (with the gravel road that goes goes past a random cemetery and had that house I wanted)
Maps Link

And when did google start putting property boundary on their maps? Its kinda cool, but kinda invasive. But I guess its all just public record.

Brad

I think your last map might be a little off. I think we went down Sunset way rather than Manitau Rd.

And yeah, we should go riding again. My bike is actually seeming to work properly now in at least 3 different gears.

Nick

Good to hear. Soon you might have one whole range to choose from :)

zourtney

Yes, I believe you're right. I did it in a hurry.

Nick

Jun 25, 2010, 12:38 PM #51 Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010, 04:21 PM by Nick
I was just cleaning my chain when I noticed that my back wheel is rather wobbly! Perhaps that is my 'misery ridge' is just so miserable. It seems to spin ok, but it rubs the frame (wearing on the tire) and the sprocket rocks a little when it does it, changing the camber that the chain sits on it (probably not good for either part)

Hmmmmm....

Some time later.....

Well, I cleaned the chain all nice, replaced the front tube and tried to realign the rear wheel. It seems that the bearing are a little out of whack. I tried tightening everything back there but it was all already tight. Rather then put money/time into my 15+ year old bike I think I might look at getting a more modern replacement. But for the time being 'misery ridge' is 1/10 less miserable.  Ohh, and I got a spedo/trip meter for it. Just because it was cheap and looked fun :)

zourtney

Since Eve and I (and Brad sometimes) have started going on rides more frequently, I've been wanting to get one of those little trip meters. Where did you get yours? I'm really only interested in knowing total trip distance (accurate to a 1/10mi or so). I saw some at ShopKo for $15-$20, but I resisted.

Maybe I should get a GPS instead :)

Nick

Yes, a gps is so competitively priced :)

I got mine at shopco while I was getting a tube. (2x2.10!!) It was $12 I think.. or maybe $12.68 or something. Less then $15. Kinda high for my typical impulse buy (my limit is usually $1.50 for random junk :)) There was also a $19 one that had some health calculator and a back-lit display. But I don't think I would need either of those things. And $20 was just too much. A spedo and a trip meeter are good enough for me.
It installed easily and seems to work. I maxed out at 20 MPH down a hill. Averaged about 12.5 MPH. Easier to see while riding then a GPS, but it wont make a map of your trip when your done.   

zourtney

We must have seen the exact same products :) Apparently my memory of the prices was tainted by my standard-but-pessimistic mental rounding...which seems to work pretty well for me, by the way. Here's a sample of how it works. Scale as needed.

Value (low)Value (high)Pessimisticly Rounded Equivilent
$0$0.15$0
$0.15$1$1
$1.01$2.00$2
$2.01$5.00$5
$5.01$10.00$10
$10.01$15.00$15
$15.01$20.00$20
$21.01$30.00$30
$31.01$50.00$50
$51.01$60.00$60
$61.01$80.00$80
$81.01$100.00$100

This is, of course, just frail mathematical charting which cannot possibly map to the complexities of purchasing content conditions (including things like how much I have to pee at the time of contemplation). Nor can it adequately explain the slowing of the rounding factor growth rate between $50 and $60...though I might blame the fifty dollar bill.

Uh...ok.

Anyway. I'm not really sure why I wrote that down. Here! The strikethrough button! Because, as the internet once sarcastically told me (the Register, I think), everybody loves strikethrough humor.

So, really, what I was going to say is that Eve and I went on a bike ride last night. It was my intent to find some small lakes which appear to be near a Bishop road in Aumsville. I think we biked right past them, though I do remember a distinctly dense area of trees.

Here's the route we took -- map.

Nick

Haha cool. You should put that chart up on the wiki someplace...

zourtney

The wiki....yeah. With this forum, Drupal, and the wiki, Randomland is feeling a little fragmented.  :-\ But that's a discussion for here, I reckon.

Brad

Anybody up for riding tomorrow?

Nick

:( Last weekend would have been great. This weekend I agreed to help build a pumphouse for my grandma. Though if its more monday, or more in the evening I would like to go.

zourtney

Monday yes. Saturday I'll bee lots of occupied with other obligations. Today: maaaaaybe