• Welcome to Randomland - The Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 12:34 PM

News:

Get Out, See Green!

Randomland bugs and errors.

Started by Nick, Sep 17, 2009, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zourtney

I like the idea of site-wide consistency. Like right now, I don't quite like how the borders are set up on the image block...but it's easy to change and will change everywhere! I was also thinking I should add a link to the node's page in the thick/thinbox popup, like the imagestream page does.

Anyway, if you have a better idea of how to implement that, let me know...Because there is no "live preview" when using the wysiwyger.

zourtney

I'm not really sure if this classifies as a "bug" or "error" but our mail getting junked. When Eve signed up for our random nets, GMail junked the registration confirmation. I found it, but her initial reaction was "it didn't work," which is true enough. I know we aren't exactly the biggest site on the internet, but it'd be nice if we weren't considered spam.

Nick

There seems to be no good way around that. We either need to find some place that will offload our mail delivery for us or get a static IP. And with the static IP you have to go to all the different places that blacklist IPs and get them to whitelist it, or at the least remove it from the black list. My attempt at using windows live mail servers was short lived. We got hit with some 'back scatter' spam (spam that ticks your server into sending an undeliverable message to someone, that of course include an original message which is spam.) So they canned us for breaking TOS. We don't seem to have any problems with the back scatter stuff unless we are forwarding the mail to another server. Another option is to lose the registration email and make everything set to admin approval.

zourtney

I guess we can just leave it for now. I don't think we're really getting any users registering, it's just kind of annoying.

Nick

I know. So is the plight of those with dynamic ip addresses. I am looking at various SMTP relay servers that will let our server login and send email. There are a few free ones but anything useful cots money. Then you might as well have the cheapest webhosting you can find just for the email server access.

zourtney

I had to log in to again today. After logging in, I get redirected to a blank page, url http://randomland.net/node?destination=node

Any idea what's up with that?

Nick

zourtney

Yep, that's fixed. Now I have another one: http://randomland.net/admin throws me up a blank page. Do you get the same? Maybe one of our aliases died? I don't know...

zourtney

Oh, I tried to update the forum to the new version via the admin panel. It did some stuff (said it successfully unpacked stuff) but then did nothing and still said it was out of date. When I tried to update it again, some tests failed, so I gave up. Oopsy.  :-[

Nick

Oh my!
Since we are integrated into drupal I wouldn't try to do the automatic upgrade. A manual one should be doable though. As long as one doesn't delete the files for the drupal tie in or (obviously) the config file. 

zourtney

Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I remember that Drupal is like Linux -- everything easy is difficult! And the SMF installation touches Drupal; therefore, everything easy in the forum is likely difficult as well. I could probably make some sort of mathematical equation correlating Linux proximity to difficulty of use, but there is no point in wasting time doing that :)

Nick

If you took out all the drupal files (I think they reside in a folder inside the SMF install. You should be able to see where they are by looking at the setting for the SMF bridge in the drupal admin) and made a copy of the database (to be safe) and a copy of the config you might be able to try again. Or just copy the new files over the old ones. Though it would be nice to have semi-automatic updating working.

Nick

I think the reason Randomland has been so slow is the DNS servers. They are free and as such are not the fastest ones available. Using the gotdns address for the randomnets seems a little faster to resolve sometimes. You would think it would only be a short lived problem as you would cache the address for a while. Though the time set that you are allowed to hold on to that is quite short as we have a dynamic IP that does change every so often. A static IP would help... so would better name servers.  I could try setting us up as our own name server but I think address changes will propagate slower that way, but what do I know (very little about the DNS system I will tell you.) Faster DNS servers might help with the issue as well. Both options cost money. If only there was a decent DNS host... I am willing to pay for it but the ones that charge, charge allot. And the free ones are a little sluggish (but workable.)

zourtney

Sounds like an unfixable problem without a little moo-la...

But I found one that is fixable -- my geisha is making a mess, seen here. It has something to do with the syntax-highlighting module I installed a while ago. If it's suppressing the errors for you, then:

* warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: unrecognized character after (?< at offset 3 in /var/www/randomland/sites/all/modules/geshifilter/geshi/geshi.php on line 2132.
    * warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: unrecognized character after (?< at offset 3 in /var/www/randomland/sites/all/modules/geshifilter/geshi/geshi.php on line 2132.

I'd look into it, but bed sounds more interesting.

Nick

We are the top google hit for " unrecognized character after (?< at offset 3" but there are other sites with the problem. I don't see anything obvious just by going to that line number in the file mentioned.